Re: Possible bug in syntax fold highlighting

  • Brett Pershing Stahlman
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 19, 2002
      From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
      To: Brett Pershing Stahlman <brett.stahlman@...>
      Cc: Noel Henson <noel@...>; <vim-dev@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 4:12 AM
      Subject: Re: Possible bug in syntax fold highlighting

      > Brett Pershing wrote:
      >
      > > > OK, that was the hint I needed: Dragging the status line and only
      > > > horizontal splits. I now managed to reproduce it.
      > > >
      > > > Strange, sometimes the highlighting in the top window is changed (but
      > > > not completely removed).
      > >
      > > Yes. I've noticed that too.
      > > >
      > > > I'll put it in the todo list (but probably won't have time to fix it
      for
      > > > a while...).
      > >
      > > I understand. Out of curiosity, I was just wondering if you had any
      hunch on
      > > where the problem might lie; i.e., is it most likely the use of the
      bold,
      > > italic, and underline attributes that's significant, or the number of
      > > different syntax regions that can be active at one time (there are quite
      > > few of them in my syntax file). I understand if you have no idea yet...
      >
      > I suspect it has something to do with redrawing a window that's not the
      > current window. Thus mixing up window-local or buffer-local things.

      Yes. This must be it. I've observed something else that may help in locating
      the problem: dragging the status line generally causes the cursor to be
      moved to the window just above the status line, regardless of where it was
      originally. When the window containing the cursor after the resize has the
      same syntax as the window whose highlighting is in question, the
      highlighting remains correct; only when the window directly above the status
      line corresponds to a different syntax does the problem occur.

      Brett S.

      > > Also, in the event that I get these display wrinkles ironed out, add
      some
      > > other needed features, and come up with a syntax file that offers
      > > significantly more functionality than the existing one (the rtf file
      with
      > > the distribution says it eventually plans to support bold, italic, and
      > > underline, but that comment was written back in 2001), what is the
      accepted
      > > method for submitting my changes for consideration? i.e., should I try
      > > see whether someone is still maintaining the existing rtf file, and give
      my
      > > modifications to him, or submit my own file in its entirety for
      > > consideration as a replacement?
      >
      > Contacting the existing syntax maintainer always comes first. When he
      > doesn't respond at all you can ask me to take over maintainership.
      > Mostly you'll get a message that he will gladly hand over maintainership
      > to you.
      >
      > --
      > 80. At parties, you introduce your spouse as your "service provider."
      >
      > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net
      \\\
      > /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org
      \\\