Re: Vim's future ?

    Message 1 of 72 , Nov 5, 2002
      Paul Romanchenko -

      > > One Vim with two toplevel windows would share everything at first, but
      > > you will want to make things private to each toplevel window. Two Vims
      > > don't share anything at first, but you can make them share things. What
      > > you end up with would be almost the same, only the implementation is
      > > different. And I can assure you that starting with two different Vims
      > > is a _lot_ easier. And it also works for using Vim in two xterms.
      >
      > I can make two vims share something by typing a lot of commands. It's
      > not transparent.

      You can make it transparent by adding code for sharing things. My point
      is that this would be a tiny task compared to adding support for
      multiple toplevel windows. For example, using "unnamed" in 'clipboard'
      makes the unnamed register transparently shared with the clipboard.

      > > > ps: ':Explore' is toooo pooooor and I think this is bad idea to imporve
      > > > it over and over again, because vim isn't file manager/browser.
      > > > Is it better to handle/browse files in the IDE?
      > >
      > > And what if you are running Vim over telnet?
      > It'll lose how it lose colors when I run vim on dumb terminals. How it lose
      > Meta_ when it run on non-gui. How it lose xselection when it run on
      > non-X11.
      > vim isn't file manager ;) anyway I use vim like file manager on our
      > hp-ux 'cause I don't like mc and I need to browse projects ;) But I
      > think if file manager would be developed is plugin in
      > "c/python/scheme/whatsever" it would be better. imho ;)
      >
      > btw, aren't you started a-a-p 'cause vim isn't file manager (in the list
      > of reasons)?

      Selecting a file to edit is a common task in an editor. A good GUI file
      selector would be the best, but it is not always available. The
      Explorer window is a nice replacement. And I haven't seen a file
      selector widget that allows hitting "j" and "k" to select an entry! :-)
      Seriously: Is there any file selector that supports searching for a file
      name with a regexp?

      --
      (letter from Mark to Mike, about the film's probable certificate)
      I would like to get back to the Censor and agree to lose the shits, take

    • hotmail
      Message 72 of 72 , Nov 18, 2002

        > > > A file is associated with a document. When you change a document, the
        > change
        > > > is propageted to all the views. Yes, this means a lot of
        communication.
        > But
        > > > this is not a problem, I haven't seen performance issues.
        > > >

        > > How is this different from a vim buffer?
        >
        > Not much. The major difference though is that you can have multiple views
        on
        > one documents, and that a view may be a toplevel window. Vim does not
        > support multiple top-level windows at the moment.
        But it supports multiple views on the buffer.
        Benoit