Re: Vim's future ?

  • Brian Skahan
    Message 1 of 72 , Nov 5, 2002
      * Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY@...> [021105 03:43]:
      > -> it is very difficult to use vim as a gui component, without menu
      > and
      > toolbars.

      I don't disagree with your suggestions as they would apply to kvim, a
      new gvim (using GTK2) and, for all I know, an improved win32 version.
      As for the kpart however, do you really think vim is the best way to go?
      Wouldn't vim (as you pointed out, no longer just an editor) be overkill
      in kdevelop? I think it would make more sense for an embedded widget to
      be much smaller and let the IDE handle things like make, diff,
      highlighting?

      I say this because I've spent alot of time looking at the code trying to
      figure out a good GTK2 widget, so that I can :wq my way out of
      everything. But after considering it and discussing it I realized all I
      wanted to add to programs like bluefish (an html ide) was vi
      keybindings, the other html specific functions are allready included.
      Admitedly there are lots of programs were vim scripting would be nice,
      but it would duplicate the programs builtin function and lead to a "more
      than one way to do it" mess.

      -Brian

      --
      /|Brian Skahan | Towson University | bskahan@...|\
      / | Baltimore, MD US | \
      Message 72 of 72 , Nov 18, 2002

        > > > A file is associated with a document. When you change a document, the
        > change
        > > > is propageted to all the views. Yes, this means a lot of
        communication.
        > But
        > > > this is not a problem, I haven't seen performance issues.
        > > >

        > > How is this different from a vim buffer?
        >
        > Not much. The major difference though is that you can have multiple views
        on
        > one documents, and that a view may be a toplevel window. Vim does not
        > support multiple top-level windows at the moment.
        But it supports multiple views on the buffer.
        Benoit