RE: Latest runtime files available for download

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
      Mike Steed wrote:

      > > > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to
      > > > the value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match
      > > > "fetch" with "fetch.py".
      > >
      > > If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect
      > > of being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But
      > > this doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py
      > > file. How does it know that?
      >
      > Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
      > order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
      > extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
      > installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing "assoc .py".
      > If you have Python installed you should get something like
      > ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in the registry.

      Strange that the Python installer does make the association but does not
      add .py to PATHEXT. Making the association sounds more complicated to
      me.

      > > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?
      >
      > I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.

      I do have Win98, thus I can try it out (when I have time, later).

      --
      ARTHUR: If you do not open these doors, we will take this castle by force ...
      [A bucket of slops land on ARTHUR. He tries to retain his dignity.]