RE: Latest runtime files available for download

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
      Mike Steed wrote:

      > > > A note for the instructions page.. on win32
      > > > you have to type:
      > > >
      > > > python <path to "aap"> fetch
      > > >
      > > > since of course the cmd.exe shell doesn't
      > > > understand the magic first line of the "aap" file.
      > >
      > > I have added a remark on the web page.
      > >
      > > Perhaps I should make an aap.bat file, so that you can type "aap
      > > fetch" like on other systems. Actually sounds like the same problem
      > > that we have with Vim, you can't make symbolic links on MS-Windows.
      > >
      > > How do other Python programs do this anyway?
      >
      > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to the
      > value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match "fetch"
      > with "fetch.py".

      If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect of
      being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But this
      doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py file. How
      does it know that?

      Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?

      --
      A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a
      rug in a dwelling.

    • Mike Steed
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
        On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 at 5:33pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > > > I have added a remark on the web page.
        > > >
        > > > Perhaps I should make an aap.bat file, so that you can type "aap
        > > > fetch" like on other systems. Actually sounds like the same
        > > > problem that we have with Vim, you can't make symbolic links on
        > > > MS-Windows.
        > > >
        > > > How do other Python programs do this anyway?
        > >
        > > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to
        > > the value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match
        > > "fetch" with "fetch.py".
        >
        > If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect
        > of being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But
        > this doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py
        > file. How does it know that?

        Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
        order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
        extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
        installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing "assoc .py".
        If you have Python installed you should get something like
        ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in the registry.

        > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?

        I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.
      • Ross Presser
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
          > Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
          > order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
          > extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
          > installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing
          > "assoc .py".
          > If you have Python installed you should get something like
          > ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in
          > the registry.

          It's accessed with the FTYPE command, another cmd.exe builtin. The help
          messages produced by FTYPE /? and ASSOC /? are attached.

          > > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?
          >
          > I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.

          Correct. Available only for NT/2000/XP, not 95/98/ME.
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
            Mike Steed wrote:

            > > > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to
            > > > the value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match
            > > > "fetch" with "fetch.py".
            > >
            > > If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect
            > > of being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But
            > > this doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py
            > > file. How does it know that?
            >
            > Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
            > order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
            > extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
            > installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing "assoc .py".
            > If you have Python installed you should get something like
            > ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in the registry.

            Strange that the Python installer does make the association but does not
            add .py to PATHEXT. Making the association sounds more complicated to
            me.

            > > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?
            >
            > I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.

            I do have Win98, thus I can try it out (when I have time, later).

            --
            ARTHUR: If you do not open these doors, we will take this castle by force ...
            [A bucket of slops land on ARTHUR. He tries to retain his dignity.]