Problem with visual and vim 6.1.247 on KDE 3.0.4?

  • Christian Wolfgang Hujer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2002
      Hello dear list members,

      I have the following problem with vim. Shortly after typing v, shift-v or
      control-v for starting to highlight in one of the visual modes, vim abruptly
      dies after approx. 0.5 secs with the following error message:
      XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Ungültige Adresse) on X server ":0.0"
      after 140 requests (139 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

      "Ungültige Adresse" probably translates to "Invalid address".

      I compile vim with the following options:

      I can reproduce this error on xterm and konsole.
      $ xterm -version
      XFree86 4.2.0(165)
      $ konsole -version
      Qt: 3.0.5
      KDE: 3.0.4
      Konsole: 1.1.3

      When starting vim as gvim this error does not occur.

      I compile vim using the following script:
      cd vim
      export CVS_RSH=ssh
      cvs update
      ./configure \
      --prefix=/usr/local/dist \
      --enable-perlinterp \
      --enable-pythoninterp \
      --enable-tclinterp \
      --enable-rubyinterp \
      --enable-cscope \
      --enable-workshop \
      --enable-sniff \
      --enable-multibyte \
      --enable-xim \
      --enable-fontset \
      --with-x \

      make
      make install

      I thought my sources were wrong but I have reproduced the problem with a fresh
      cvs checkout.

      The problem does not occur when the DISPLAY variable is not set.
      Access to the X-Server is basically possible, it is possible to start X
      programs from xterm or konsole.

      My system: S.u.S.E. Linux 8.1.

      The problem occurs when using KDE.
      The problem does NOT occur with GNOME, Enlightenment or failsafe, even when
      using the KDE program Konsole with these window managers.

      Has anyone else experienced this strange behaviour?

      Does someone has an idea of how I can try to reproduce this error with another
      program so I can exclude it's the fault of vim?

      Is this a known bug in KDE?

      My current workaround is to compile vim without any GUI support.
      This workaround does for me since except for web surfing, gaming, mail,
      addressbook and calendar I only work in console, and I could compile a second
      vim for GUI only when I'd really need gvim.

      Bye
      --
      ITCQIS GmbH
      Christian Wolfgang Hujer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2002
        Christian Wolfgang Hujer wrote:

        > I have the following problem with vim. Shortly after typing v, shift-v or
        > control-v for starting to highlight in one of the visual modes, vim abruptly
        > dies after approx. 0.5 secs with the following error message:
        > XIO: fatal IO error 14 (UngÃ=BCltige Adresse) on X server ":0.0"
        > after 140 requests (139 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
        >
        > "UngÃ=BCltige Adresse" probably translates to "Invalid address".
        >
        > I compile vim with the following options:
        >
        > I can reproduce this error on xterm and konsole.
        > $ xterm -version
        > XFree86 4.2.0(165)
        > $ konsole -version
        > Qt: 3.0.5
        > KDE: 3.0.4
        > Konsole: 1.1.3
        >
        > When starting vim as gvim this error does not occur.

        Very strange. You would have to run Vim in a debugger to find out what
        is happening.

        > I compile vim using the following script:
        > cd vim
        > export CVS_RSH=ssh
        > cvs update
        > ./configure \
        > --prefix=/usr/local/dist \
        > --enable-perlinterp \
        > --enable-pythoninterp \
        > --enable-tclinterp \
        > --enable-rubyinterp \
        > --enable-cscope \
        > --enable-workshop \
        > --enable-sniff \
        > --enable-multibyte \
        > --enable-xim \
        > --enable-fontset \
        > --with-x \

        You could try without the interpreters. The signal handling in threaded
        libraries sometimes causes problems. XIM might also cause a problem,
        since it's X-server related.

        --
        A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal
        intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he