Re: [vimdev] configure and Makefile

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > I remember being confused when I first compiled vim. There are
      > some options (perl support is one, I think) that can only be compiled in
      > via a configure argument, and some (such as features) that are supposed
      > to be set from the Makefile. Maybe I did not read the docs carefully
      > enough, or maybe they could be made more clear. I think it will be a
      > Good Thing if we can decide on a recommended way to compile vim, whether
      > it be "configure; make" or just "make" or some other suggestion. The
      > recommendation should include a solution to the current discussion, how
      > to avoid typing in configure arguments each time you build.

      The recommended way is to edit src/Makefile and run "make". I thought
      this was mentioned in a few places.

      Obviously you can take over these changes to a Makefile of a new
      version, but you have to do a bit of work for it. When using CVS it's
      simple, changes in the new version will be merged in and conflicts are
      reported. When unpacking a new version from archives you might want to
      use diff and patch.

      I think this is not perfect, but easy enough for someone to figure out
      himself.

      --
      BEDEVERE: How do you know so much about swallows?
      ARTHUR: Well you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.