Re: [vimdev] configure and Makefile

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2002
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Charles Campbell wrote:
      >
      > > How about a make/environment variable: say, VIMCONFIG. Then the <Makefile>
      > > would have
      > >
      > > configure ${VIMCONFIG}
      > >
      > > which will normally expand to nothing, but if set will allow
      > > user-specified options to the configure.
      > >
      > > export VIMCONFIG="--with-features=huge"
      > > make
      >
      > Hmm, then you would need to set VIMCONFIG in your ~/.shrc file, which is
      > not really related to building Vim. Typing it doesn't make sense, you
      > might as well run configure right away then.

      You could put the Chip's two lines in a shell script.

      I remember being confused when I first compiled vim. There are
      some options (perl support is one, I think) that can only be compiled in
      via a configure argument, and some (such as features) that are supposed
      to be set from the Makefile. Maybe I did not read the docs carefully
      enough, or maybe they could be made more clear. I think it will be a
      Good Thing if we can decide on a recommended way to compile vim, whether
      it be "configure; make" or just "make" or some other suggestion. The
      recommendation should include a solution to the current discussion, how
      to avoid typing in configure arguments each time you build.

      --Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > I remember being confused when I first compiled vim. There are
        > some options (perl support is one, I think) that can only be compiled in
        > via a configure argument, and some (such as features) that are supposed
        > to be set from the Makefile. Maybe I did not read the docs carefully
        > enough, or maybe they could be made more clear. I think it will be a
        > Good Thing if we can decide on a recommended way to compile vim, whether
        > it be "configure; make" or just "make" or some other suggestion. The
        > recommendation should include a solution to the current discussion, how
        > to avoid typing in configure arguments each time you build.

        The recommended way is to edit src/Makefile and run "make". I thought
        this was mentioned in a few places.

        Obviously you can take over these changes to a Makefile of a new
        version, but you have to do a bit of work for it. When using CVS it's
        simple, changes in the new version will be merged in and conflicts are
        reported. When unpacking a new version from archives you might want to
        use diff and patch.

        I think this is not perfect, but easy enough for someone to figure out
        himself.

        --
        BEDEVERE: How do you know so much about swallows?
        ARTHUR: Well you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.