Latest runtime files available for download

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
      For those of you who wish to obtain the latest version of everything,
      here is something you will like.

      Now that A-A-P is reasonably stable, I'm starting to use it for what
      it's been made for: distributing software. I made a recipe to upload
      all the latest runtime files to:

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime

      There are about 700 files there. Since you probably only want to
      download those files that have been updated, an A-A-P recipe can be used
      to get them. This uses MD5 checksums to find out which file differs
      from the version on the ftp site.

      The instructions to use it are here:

      http://www.vim.org/runtime.php

      Since all this is relatively new I decided to let the developers have a
      go at it first. Let me know if there is a problem. If it works well
      I'll announce it generally.

      In case you are interested, here is the recipe I'm using to upload the
      files. It's executed simply by running "aap" in my "runtime" directory.
      Don't try running this yourself, you can't upload to the ftp server.

      # A-A-P recipe for uploading the latest scripts and docs to ftp.vim.org.

      FILES =
      `glob("*.vim")`
      procset.ps
      `glob("doc/*.txt")`
      doc/vim.1
      doc/vimtutor.1
      doc/tags
      `glob("syntax/*.vim")`
      syntax/README.txt
      `glob("ftplugin/*.vim")`
      `glob("compiler/*.vim")`
      `glob("colors/*.vim")`
      `glob("indent/*.vim")`
      indent/README.txt
      `glob("keymap/*.vim")`
      keymap/README.txt
      `glob("lang/*.vim")`
      lang/README.txt
      `glob("plugin/*.vim")`
      plugin/README.txt
      `glob("tutor/*.txt")`
      `glob("tutor/*.vim")`
      tutor/tutor
      `glob("tutor/tutor.??")`
      `glob("tutor/tutor.??.*[^~]")`

      # Set the URL to use for uploading and use it to add a "publish"
      # attribute to the files.
      UPDIR = scp://bramm@.../ftp/pub/vim/runtime
      :attr {publish = $UPDIR/%file%} $FILES

      # Set the URL where the files can be downloaded from later and add a
      # "fetch" attribut to the files for ":mkdownload" below.
      DOWNDIR = ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime
      :attr {fetch = $DOWNDIR/%file%} $FILES

      # The default target does:
      # 1. publish all the files (upload them to the Vim ftp site)
      # 2. Generate a recipe with MD5 checksums to download them
      # 3. publish the generated recipe
      all: publish
      :mkdownload download.aap {fetch = $DOWNDIR/main.aap} $FILES
      :publish {publish = $UPDIR/main.aap} download.aap

      ARTHUR: Charge!
      [They all charge with swords drawn towards the RABBIT. A tremendous twenty
      second fight with Peckinpahish shots and borrowing heavily also on the
      Kung Fu and karate-type films ensues, in which some four KNIGHTS are
      comprehensively killed.]
      ARTHUR: Run away! Run away!

    • Vince Negri
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
        It works! :-) I think ;-)

        A note for the instructions page.. on win32
        you have to type:

        python <path to "aap"> fetch

        since of course the cmd.exe shell doesn't
        understand the magic first line of the "aap" file.

        Vince
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
          Vince Negri wrote:

          > It works! :-) I think ;-)

          Good to hear it works. I never tried it on MS-Windows.

          > A note for the instructions page.. on win32
          > you have to type:
          >
          > python <path to "aap"> fetch
          >
          > since of course the cmd.exe shell doesn't
          > understand the magic first line of the "aap" file.

          I have added a remark on the web page.

          Perhaps I should make an aap.bat file, so that you can type "aap fetch"
          like on other systems. Actually sounds like the same problem that we
          have with Vim, you can't make symbolic links on MS-Windows.

          How do other Python programs do this anyway?

          --
          Females are strictly forbidden to appear unshaven in public.
          [real standing law in New Mexico, United States of America]

        • Mike Steed
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
            On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 at 5:00pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Vince Negri wrote:
            >
            > > It works! :-) I think ;-)
            >
            > Good to hear it works. I never tried it on MS-Windows.
            >
            > > A note for the instructions page.. on win32
            > > you have to type:
            > >
            > > python <path to "aap"> fetch
            > >
            > > since of course the cmd.exe shell doesn't
            > > understand the magic first line of the "aap" file.
            >
            > I have added a remark on the web page.
            >
            > Perhaps I should make an aap.bat file, so that you can type "aap
            > fetch" like on other systems. Actually sounds like the same problem
            > that we have with Vim, you can't make symbolic links on MS-Windows.
            >
            > How do other Python programs do this anyway?

            If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to the
            value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match "fetch"
            with "fetch.py".
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
              Mike Steed wrote:

              > > > A note for the instructions page.. on win32
              > > > you have to type:
              > > >
              > > > python <path to "aap"> fetch
              > > >
              > > > since of course the cmd.exe shell doesn't
              > > > understand the magic first line of the "aap" file.
              > >
              > > I have added a remark on the web page.
              > >
              > > Perhaps I should make an aap.bat file, so that you can type "aap
              > > fetch" like on other systems. Actually sounds like the same problem
              > > that we have with Vim, you can't make symbolic links on MS-Windows.
              > >
              > > How do other Python programs do this anyway?
              >
              > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to the
              > value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match "fetch"
              > with "fetch.py".

              If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect of
              being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But this
              doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py file. How
              does it know that?

              Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?

              --
              A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a
              rug in a dwelling.

            • Mike Steed
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 at 5:33pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > > > I have added a remark on the web page.
                > > >
                > > > Perhaps I should make an aap.bat file, so that you can type "aap
                > > > fetch" like on other systems. Actually sounds like the same
                > > > problem that we have with Vim, you can't make symbolic links on
                > > > MS-Windows.
                > > >
                > > > How do other Python programs do this anyway?
                > >
                > > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to
                > > the value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match
                > > "fetch" with "fetch.py".
                >
                > If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect
                > of being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But
                > this doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py
                > file. How does it know that?

                Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
                order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
                extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
                installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing "assoc .py".
                If you have Python installed you should get something like
                ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in the registry.

                > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?

                I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.
              • Ross Presser
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                  > Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
                  > order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
                  > extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
                  > installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing
                  > "assoc .py".
                  > If you have Python installed you should get something like
                  > ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in
                  > the registry.

                  It's accessed with the FTYPE command, another cmd.exe builtin. The help
                  messages produced by FTYPE /? and ASSOC /? are attached.

                  > > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?
                  >
                  > I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.

                  Correct. Available only for NT/2000/XP, not 95/98/ME.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
                    Mike Steed wrote:

                    > > > If I understand the problem, one way to solve it is to add .py to
                    > > > the value of PATHEXT in the environment. Then CMD will also match
                    > > > "fetch" with "fetch.py".
                    > >
                    > > If I understand it correctly, adding ".py" to PATHEXT has the effect
                    > > of being able to type "aap" as a command instead of "aap.py". But
                    > > this doesn't tell CMD where to find Python or how to execute a .py
                    > > file. How does it know that?
                    >
                    > Right (sorry, I missed that aap is the Python script, not fetch). In
                    > order for this to work, there must be an association between the .py
                    > extension and python.exe. This is normally set up by the Python
                    > installer. You can query the association in cmd by typing "assoc .py".
                    > If you have Python installed you should get something like
                    > ".py=Python.File". The path to python.exe is somewhere in the registry.

                    Strange that the Python installer does make the association but does not
                    add .py to PATHEXT. Making the association sounds more complicated to
                    me.

                    > > Does PATHEXT only work on MS-Windows NT/XP or also on Win 9x?
                    >
                    > I think this works only on NT-based systems, but I'm not sure.

                    I do have Win98, thus I can try it out (when I have time, later).

                    --
                    ARTHUR: If you do not open these doors, we will take this castle by force ...
                    [A bucket of slops land on ARTHUR. He tries to retain his dignity.]