Re: [vimdev] configure and Makefile

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:11:25PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >...snip...
      > This indeed isn't a nice solution. The best would probably be to leave
      > the Makefile alone, and include a separate Makefile_arg that contains the
      > definitions that you want to use.
      >...snip...

      How about a make/environment variable: say, VIMCONFIG. Then the <Makefile>
      would have

      configure ${VIMCONFIG}

      which will normally expand to nothing, but if set will allow
      user-specified options to the configure.

      export VIMCONFIG="--with-features=huge"
      make

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell

      --
      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
      cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2002
        Charles Campbell wrote:

        > On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 03:11:25PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > >...snip...
        > > This indeed isn't a nice solution. The best would probably be to leave
        > > the Makefile alone, and include a separate Makefile_arg that contains the
        > > definitions that you want to use.
        > >...snip...
        >
        > How about a make/environment variable: say, VIMCONFIG. Then the <Makefile>
        > would have
        >
        > configure ${VIMCONFIG}
        >
        > which will normally expand to nothing, but if set will allow
        > user-specified options to the configure.
        >
        > export VIMCONFIG="--with-features=huge"
        > make

        Hmm, then you would need to set VIMCONFIG in your ~/.shrc file, which is
        not really related to building Vim. Typing it doesn't make sense, you
        might as well run configure right away then.

        --
        Lose weight, NEVER Diet again with
        The "Invisible Weight Loss Patch"

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2002
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Charles Campbell wrote:
          >
          > > How about a make/environment variable: say, VIMCONFIG. Then the <Makefile>
          > > would have
          > >
          > > configure ${VIMCONFIG}
          > >
          > > which will normally expand to nothing, but if set will allow
          > > user-specified options to the configure.
          > >
          > > export VIMCONFIG="--with-features=huge"
          > > make
          >
          > Hmm, then you would need to set VIMCONFIG in your ~/.shrc file, which is
          > not really related to building Vim. Typing it doesn't make sense, you
          > might as well run configure right away then.

          You could put the Chip's two lines in a shell script.

          I remember being confused when I first compiled vim. There are
          some options (perl support is one, I think) that can only be compiled in
          via a configure argument, and some (such as features) that are supposed
          to be set from the Makefile. Maybe I did not read the docs carefully
          enough, or maybe they could be made more clear. I think it will be a
          Good Thing if we can decide on a recommended way to compile vim, whether
          it be "configure; make" or just "make" or some other suggestion. The
          recommendation should include a solution to the current discussion, how
          to avoid typing in configure arguments each time you build.

          --Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2002
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > I remember being confused when I first compiled vim. There are
            > some options (perl support is one, I think) that can only be compiled in
            > via a configure argument, and some (such as features) that are supposed
            > to be set from the Makefile. Maybe I did not read the docs carefully
            > enough, or maybe they could be made more clear. I think it will be a
            > Good Thing if we can decide on a recommended way to compile vim, whether
            > it be "configure; make" or just "make" or some other suggestion. The
            > recommendation should include a solution to the current discussion, how
            > to avoid typing in configure arguments each time you build.

            The recommended way is to edit src/Makefile and run "make". I thought
            this was mentioned in a few places.

            Obviously you can take over these changes to a Makefile of a new
            version, but you have to do a bit of work for it. When using CVS it's
            simple, changes in the new version will be merged in and conflicts are
            reported. When unpacking a new version from archives you might want to
            use diff and patch.

            I think this is not perfect, but easy enough for someone to figure out
            himself.

            --
            BEDEVERE: How do you know so much about swallows?
            ARTHUR: Well you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.