user_fullname()

  • Nikolai :: lone-star :: Weibull
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2002
      finally, here it is, the function we've all had wet dreams about!
      the function to put an end to all other functions!
      for only $9.95 it can be yours!

      seriously, i got around to writing some code for the function
      'user_fullname()' which may actually be rather useful in quite a few
      scripts. most notably it goes perfect with the ftplugin/changelog.vim
      file that i maintain. a patch to src/eval.c and to runtime/doc/eval.txt
      is included.

      P.S.
      i also fixed some bugs in runtime/doc/eval.txt. (see the patch for what
      was fixed.)
      and btw, the patch is against the CVS repository, created with
      cvs diff -c src/eval.c runtime/doc/eval.txt
      D.S.

      --
      ::: name: Nikolai Weibull :: aliases: pcp / lone-star :::
      ::: born: Chicago, IL USA :: loc now: Gothenburg, Sweden :::
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        Nikolai Weibull wrote:

        > finally, here it is, the function we've all had wet dreams about!
        > the function to put an end to all other functions!
        > for only $9.95 it can be yours!
        >
        > seriously, i got around to writing some code for the function
        > 'user_fullname()' which may actually be rather useful in quite a few
        > scripts. most notably it goes perfect with the ftplugin/changelog.vim
        > file that i maintain. a patch to src/eval.c and to runtime/doc/eval.txt
        > is included.

        Hmm, I wonder how useful this is. It only works on Unix (and not all
        kinds of it). Could use a shell command on these systems.

        If it's really to be included, it requires a few #ifdefs. For example,
        see the use of getpwuid() in os_unix.c.

        > P.S.
        > i also fixed some bugs in runtime/doc/eval.txt. (see the patch for what
        > was fixed.)

        I'll include these right away.

        --
        "When I die, I want a tombstone that says "GAME OVER" - Ton Richters

      • Nikolai :: lone-star :: Weibull
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2002
          On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 23:19:51 +0000, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Nikolai Weibull wrote:
          >
          > > finally, here it is, the function we've all had wet dreams about!
          > > the function to put an end to all other functions!
          > > for only $9.95 it can be yours!
          > >
          > > seriously, i got around to writing some code for the function
          > > 'user_fullname()' which may actually be rather useful in quite a few
          > > scripts. most notably it goes perfect with the ftplugin/changelog.vim
          > > file that i maintain. a patch to src/eval.c and to runtime/doc/eval.txt
          > > is included.
          >
          > Hmm, I wonder how useful this is. It only works on Unix (and not all
          > kinds of it). Could use a shell command on these systems.

          true. sadly i haven't found a way to do it on other systems. should be
          possible on some forms of Windows based platforms, and i'm sure some
          versions of Mac OS have some functionality for this as well. i was
          hoping that people would fill in the blanks sort of. I have two plugins
          that would benefit from this functionality. first,
          ftplugin/changelog.vim that uses the fullname in the log header. and
          second, plugin/pcpheader.vim that uses the fullname of the user when
          creating headers from template files where the Author:/Maintainer: needs to
          be set. Ok, it's not as useful as substitute() or many other functions,
          but i believe it has its uses.

          > If it's really to be included, it requires a few #ifdefs. For example,
          > see the use of getpwuid() in os_unix.c.

          done. for systems that don't provide the getpwuid() functionality, then
          at least the NAME environment variable is checked.

          > > P.S.
          > > i also fixed some bugs in runtime/doc/eval.txt. (see the patch for what
          > > was fixed.)
          >
          > I'll include these right away.

          ok, good.