Re: Translating Docs

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2002
      David Odin wrote:

      > > > after we got a nicely translated vim-tutorial, will we try to
      > > > translate the other documentation, too?
      > > > Or had anyone started with it already? I'd start right now, if nobody
      > > > did it, but i don't wan't to have something translated twice...
      > >
      > > Keep in mind that:
      > > - The documentation is HUGE. Something like 2000 pages. Half a
      > > translated manual isn't very useful. Just doing the user manual would
      > > be possible though.
      > > - I keep changing the documentation and there is no support for
      > > suggesting what to fix in your translation. But you can do this
      > > yourself.
      > >
      > If someone do it for, say deutch, I am willing to do the same thing
      > for the french translation. This is a long time will, but I don't really
      > know where to start. If more than one began the translation, we may join
      > our effort.

      If we have German and French, then we only need Spanish to have most of
      the western world covered.

      > Bram, is there any way you can inform us (translators) about any
      > change in the documentation or should we inspect every patch you make?

      Don't rely on it. Take a snapshot of the version you translate and keep
      it. Later you can make a diff with a more recent version to see what
      changed.

      --
      Wizards had always known that the act of observation changed the thing that
      was observed, and sometimes forgot that it also changed the observer too.