Undo levels lost after :make

  • milan vancura
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi,

      I have found a little problem with :make or :cn. After that cursor is moved to
      the line of the first error/warning. If the error was in another file than you
      have edited before, the file in current window is automaticaly changed. You can
      still go back via ctrl-O, but all undo levels are lost. This is bad because the
      time you need undo is mostly when some error occurs :-)

      I don't want to stop use these quickfix features, they are very good and
      comfortable. So my idea of solution:

      1) look if the file with the next error is opened in another window. If so,
      change the window instead of changing buffer in the current window.

      2) If the buffer in the current window must be changed, save the previous
      buffer. What about mark this buffer as 'hidden'? Does it solve the problem?

      I hope this problem is solutable without adding any new special modes/features
      to vim.

      Opinions? Ideas?

      Milan Vancura
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2002
        Milan Vancura wrote:

        > I have found a little problem with :make or :cn. After that cursor is
        > moved to the line of the first error/warning. If the error was in
        > another file than you have edited before, the file in current window
        > is automaticaly changed. You can still go back via ctrl-O, but all
        > undo levels are lost. This is bad because the time you need undo is
        > mostly when some error occurs :-)
        >
        > I don't want to stop use these quickfix features, they are very good and
        > comfortable. So my idea of solution:
        >
        > 1) look if the file with the next error is opened in another window. If so,
        > change the window instead of changing buffer in the current window.
        >
        > 2) If the buffer in the current window must be changed, save the previous
        > buffer. What about mark this buffer as 'hidden'? Does it solve the
        > problem?
        >
        > I hope this problem is solutable without adding any new special
        > modes/features to vim.

        Setting the 'hidden' options should do it.

        ":make" isn't really different from other commands when it comes to
        losing the undo info.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        :-* A big kiss!