Re: Win32 Short filenames - comments?

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
      Michael Geddes wrote:

      > A call to win32 vimmers!
      >
      > I _have created_ a patch that adds a modifier which is currently :X
      > (from dir /x) that modifies
      > the filename to be the windows short file name.
      >
      > ie : expand('%:X')
      >
      > Would return the full short filename of the current file.
      > expand('%:X:.') also works (as does :~).

      Since this is just a small change and can be very useful for people who
      need this, I'm not against including this feature.

      Two questions:
      - Why ":X"? Isn't there a more obvious name to get the short filename?
      - Does this only shorten the last part of the path or also the directory
      names before it?

      --
      From "know your smileys":
      (X0||) Double hamburger with lettuce and tomato

    • Vince Negri
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
        > To stuff that ALL up, though, there is an API call that allows you to
        > set the short name of a file *sigh*.

        Only on NTFS drives, thank heavens.

        I agree that this is a useful patch (though it would
        be possible to get the functionality without patching
        Vim by writing a small DLL and using libcall()), since
        there are plenty of old command-line utilities
        knocking around which need 8.3 filenames. I also
        agree that :X is a bit odd - it makes me think on
        encryption... can we have ":~" instead - the mnemonic
        is obvious to anyone who will need the function ;)

        Vince

      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
          From: "Vince Negri" <vnegri@...>

          > I also agree that :X is a bit odd - it makes me think on
          > encryption... can we have ":~" instead - the mnemonic is obvious
          > to anyone who will need the function ;)

          /x is the WinXP switch for the dir command which shows short names.
          But I agree with Vince that :~ is more clever and memorable.

          Michael, I'm looking forward to trying your patch and will feedback
          once I get to work and apply it.

          Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]
        • Michael Geddes
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
            Ok, I'll fix it up, make sure it has doco.

            I wasn't realy convinced about :X either, but
            1) :S might be useful for something else
            2) :~ is already taken (sorry Vince & Steve, that's home-directory
            expansion),

            I could used :8 I guess (for 8.3)

            I didn't choose :X very carefully, just a proof of concept, but
            1) it's way out of the way for any other further extensions to the
            syntax..
            2) secondly it matched the /X from DIR /X which is how you can view
            the short filenames in a prompt.

            Vince, Steve - what do you think - any votes?

            As to the other question - it shortens the whole path. That's what the
            API function does...

            I had to modify/optimise :~ and :. so that if the path had already been
            expanded (via :p or :X), then it wouldn't
            try expanding it again. Somebody will need to cast their eyes over that
            bit to make sure it handles everything correctly as far as memory
            allocation/deallocation. I think it's correct, but I'm not familiar
            enough with that code to do it.

            Is it OK to have the WinAPI function as it is? Or would you prefer me to
            wrap it in a mch_ wrapper? I guess it'd be
            nice if it worked across Samba shares from linux.

            //.

            > I _have created_ a patch that adds a modifier which is currently :X
            > (from dir /x) that modifies the filename to be the windows short file
            > name.
            >
            > ie : expand('%:X')
            >
            > Would return the full short filename of the current file.
            > expand('%:X:.') also works (as does :~).

            Since this is just a small change and can be very useful for people who
            need this, I'm not against including this feature.

            Two questions:
            - Why ":X"? Isn't there a more obvious name to get the short filename?
            - Does this only shorten the last part of the path or also the directory
            names before it?

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            (X0||) Double hamburger with lettuce and tomato

            /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net
            \\\
            /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.vim.org
            \\\
            \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.a-a-p.org
            ///
            \\\ Lord Of The Rings helps Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org/lotr.html
            ///
          • Vince Negri
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2002
              > Is it OK to have the WinAPI function as it is? Or would you prefer me to
              > wrap it in a mch_ wrapper? I guess it'd be
              > nice if it worked across Samba shares from linux.

              My gut instinct is to have a mch_ wrapper - more to keep
              API-specific code out of the generic base as much as
              possible.

              Vince