Fwd: stdin

  • David Mankin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
      On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 07:43 AM, Miroslaw
      Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:

      > And just one more suggestion
      >
      > If there is stdout and it is not a terminal vim should write current
      > buffer to
      > stdout and terminate to allow fully pipe processing:
      >
      > $ command | vim -s commands | command2

      This would be great, especially if vim would still do syntax
      hilighting. One of my long-time wishes is to be able to run:

      cvs diff | vim | less

      and similar commands.

      Vim comes with a vless macro that can be used to do the paging inside
      vim instead of in less, but it's not the same.

      -David Mankin
    • Thomas S. Urban
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
        On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 16:14:53 -0700, David Mankin sent 0.6K bytes:

        > On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 07:43 AM, Miroslaw
        > Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:
        >

        > >And just one more suggestion
        > >
        > >If there is stdout and it is not a terminal vim should write current
        > >buffer to
        > >stdout and terminate to allow fully pipe processing:
        > >
        > >$ command | vim -s commands | command2
        >
        > This would be great, especially if vim would still do syntax
        > hilighting. One of my long-time wishes is to be able to run:
        >
        > cvs diff | vim | less

        Instead of using vim for this, you might want to look at the 'colorcat'
        utilitiy. This a basically a customizable coloring filter. It includes
        configurations for cvs (with a 'colorcvs' command) that might
        color the diff like you want. BTW, piping to 'less' shows escape
        sequences for me, but piping to 'more' show the colors - is ther a flag
        to hanlde this?

        Scott

        --
        Never trust a computer you can't repair yourself.
      • David Mankin
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
          On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 09:18 AM, Thomas S. Urban wrote:

          > On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 16:14:53 -0700, David Mankin sent 0.6K bytes:
          >>
          >> On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 07:43 AM, Miroslaw
          >> Dobrzanski-Neumann wrote:
          >>

          >>> And just one more suggestion
          >>>
          >>> If there is stdout and it is not a terminal vim should write current
          >>> buffer to
          >>> stdout and terminate to allow fully pipe processing:
          >>>
          >>> $ command | vim -s commands | command2
          >>
          >> This would be great, especially if vim would still do syntax
          >> hilighting. One of my long-time wishes is to be able to run:
          >>
          >> cvs diff | vim | less
          >
          > Instead of using vim for this, you might want to look at the 'colorcat'
          > utilitiy. This a basically a customizable coloring filter. It
          > includes
          > configurations for cvs (with a 'colorcvs' command) that might
          > color the diff like you want. BTW, piping to 'less' shows escape
          > sequences for me, but piping to 'more' show the colors - is ther a flag
          > to hanlde this?

          Thanks, I'll look into it.

          If you pass less the --raw-control-chars flag it will not show your
          escapes as ^[ but instead pass them on to the terminal. There are some
          warnings in the man page about what sorts of control characters it will
          and won't handle well, though. It doesn't like cursor movement ones,
          for instance.

          -David Mankin
        • Milan Vancura
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
            > hilighting. One of my long-time wishes is to be able to run:
            >
            > cvs diff | vim | less

            My (also longtime?) wish is one command shorter:

            cvs diff | vimdiff

            :-)

            I think it isn't so crazy it may look like, even it's more probable that the
            output from cvs diff will not be read from stdin, but handled by some plugin.
            I think it would be really usefull feature!

            BTW: It contains another wishes in itself. For example to be able to edit more
            than one "diff-pair" at one time which is also very good feature, I think - to
            be able to edit file.c and file.h in diff mode at one time and other examples.

            Milan Vancura