Feature request: Special window

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi all,

      Some of the top rated/downloaded plugins from the vim.sourceforge.net
      site (winmanager.vim, project.vim, taglist.vim), use a Vim window for
      displaying the plugin specific information. There are problems in using
      more than one of these plugins at the same time.

      For example, if you try to use the Project and the Taglist plugin at
      the same time, when you select a file from the project window, the file
      will be opened in the taglist window instead of in the window containing
      the source file.

      A similar problem exists in using the winmanager and the taglist plugin
      at the same time. Even though these problems can be solved by modifying
      the winmanager and project plugins to open the selected file in the correct
      window, I think there is a better way to solve this problem.

      If we can mark some windows as special windows and do not use those windows
      for editing files, then this problem can be easily solved. This window will
      be similar to the existing command-line window. A plugin can open a window
      and mark it as a special window (similar to the scratch buffer), so that
      other plugins and users cannot open files in that window. The plugin can
      modify the text in the window.

      - Yegappan

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2002
        Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Some of the top rated/downloaded plugins from the vim.sourceforge.net
        > site (winmanager.vim, project.vim, taglist.vim), use a Vim window for
        > displaying the plugin specific information. There are problems in using
        > more than one of these plugins at the same time.

        [examples snipped]

        > If we can mark some windows as special windows and do not use those windows
        > for editing files, then this problem can be easily solved. This window will
        > be similar to the existing command-line window. A plugin can open a window
        > and mark it as a special window (similar to the scratch buffer), so that
        > other plugins and users cannot open files in that window. The plugin can
        > modify the text in the window.

        How about using the 'buftype' option? For a "special" window,

        :set buftype=nofile

        and then check the value of this option before trying to open a file for editing
        in a given window.

        HTH --Benji Fisher