Re: M$W2000: Edit->Copy dosn't work after filetype on

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2002
      Milan Vancura wrote:

      > > Very strange, since these menus and toolbar buttons all use the same
      > > commands. Perhaps some script redefined the menus?
      >
      > Not any my script, I run "virgin gvim" only. runtime\menu.vim (re)defines all
      > basic menus (File,Edit etc.) when it is called from runtime\filetype.vim. But
      > the problems are elsewhere.
      >
      > set nocompatible
      > let did_install_syntax_menu=1
      > filetype on
      >
      > works OK.
      >
      > Little tracing mechanism shows me that if I don't set this variable before
      > "filetype on", menu.vim is executed twice. Firstly with all three conditions
      > passed (default_menu, syntax_menu and syntax_menu2), secondly with all
      > conditions skipped (so nothing is done).
      >
      > If I set the variable, there is only one pass of menu.vim and only the first
      > condition (default_menu) is done, other two are skipped.
      >
      > The problem is why the code in the "syntax menu conditions" does so strange
      > things. Very strange. For example if I mark a visual block and do Edit.Copy
      > three or four times, vim will crash. ("gvim.exe generated error and will be
      > restarted by Windows system.")

      I have no explanation for this behavior. Don't forget that this works
      just fine for most people. Thus there must be something special about
      your situation that causes the problem. Any idea? Are you using
      translated menus perhaps?

      --
      CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there something
      you can do?

    • Milan Vancura
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
        > > The problem is why the code in the "syntax menu conditions" does so strange
        > > things. Very strange. For example if I mark a visual block and do Edit.Copy
        > > three or four times, vim will crash. ("gvim.exe generated error and will be
        > > restarted by Windows system.")
        >
        > I have no explanation for this behavior. Don't forget that this works
        > just fine for most people. Thus there must be something special about
        > your situation that causes the problem. Any idea? Are you using
        > translated menus perhaps?

        I have made some new tests.

        All problems with Edit.Copy/Cut/Paste become "if and only if" menu.vim is
        sourced from filetype.vim (lines 1376-1381). It doesn't depend on setting menu
        items, syntax and anything else.

        I used the binary package "GUI vim" + vim rt files package from vim.org. The
        "Self-installing executable" vim from vim.org (which I have installed now)
        doesn't have this problem.

        Maybe I did something wrong before, maybe it's an error on my system and maybe
        there is some error in "GUI executable" vim at vim.org. I think testing it on
        the system of someone else could be a good idea.

        Have a nice day,

        Milan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
          Milan Vancura wrote:

          > > > The problem is why the code in the "syntax menu conditions" does
          > > > so strange things. Very strange. For example if I mark a visual
          > > > block and do Edit.Copy three or four times, vim will crash.
          > > > ("gvim.exe generated error and will be restarted by Windows
          > > > system.")
          > >
          > > I have no explanation for this behavior. Don't forget that this works
          > > just fine for most people. Thus there must be something special about
          > > your situation that causes the problem. Any idea? Are you using
          > > translated menus perhaps?
          >
          > I have made some new tests.
          >
          > All problems with Edit.Copy/Cut/Paste become "if and only if" menu.vim
          > is sourced from filetype.vim (lines 1376-1381). It doesn't depend on
          > setting menu items, syntax and anything else.

          How do you make sure that menu.vim is sourced from filetype.vim?
          Anyway, starting Vim with "-V" shows me it's done this way for me. I
          don't see these problems though.

          > I used the binary package "GUI vim" + vim rt files package from vim.org. The
          > "Self-installing executable" vim from vim.org (which I have installed now)
          > doesn't have this problem.

          Which binary package is that? gvim61.zip? It is compiled in the same
          way as the one included with the self-installing executable, only with
          less features.

          > Maybe I did something wrong before, maybe it's an error on my system
          > and maybe there is some error in "GUI executable" vim at vim.org. I
          > think testing it on the system of someone else could be a good idea.

          Since you reported a crash, I would suspect something went wrong with
          downloading that specific gvim.exe.

          --
          LAUNCELOT: I am, sir. I am a Knight of King Arthur.
          FATHER: 'Mm ... very nice castle, Camelot ... very good pig country....