How to insert/capture :ver information

  • ewitness - Ben Fowler
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2002
      I would like to be able to capture either or both of the text provided
      by the :ver and :about commands, for one reason to include details
      of my configuration if I ever needed to e-amil someone about a problem.

      (The alternative would be to use a sreenshot, which strikes me as
      unfortunate giev that we are dealing with text based program).

      One really good way to do this would be set an option that copied
      all messages to stderr or a defined buffer.

      I have tried searching for this and am quite surprised that no developer
      seems to have felt the same lack. Of course the terms are somewhat
      vague and insufficently specific, and perhaps the information is out there,
      but I have yet to see it.

      What I have been able to do, is grab the statusmsg using the :let
      command, videlicet:

      :ver
      :let @d=V:statusmg
      "dp

      Which gives me

      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled 08/16/02 21:37:42)

      [All the above typed anew, so please pardon typos]

      and this is the first line of what I want, and far, far better than
      nothing.

      I can't help thinking that I am going radically wrong somewhere, and
      I would be grateful for a pointer.

      Ben

      Telephone: 0113 2951112 Fax: 0113 2951114
    • Mike Steed
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2002
        On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 at 3:42pm, bfowler@... wrote:

        > I would like to be able to capture either or both of the text provided
        > by the :ver and :about commands, for one reason to include details
        > of my configuration if I ever needed to e-amil someone about a problem.

        :help :redir
      • Dan Sharp
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2002
          >From: bfowler@... (ewitness - Ben Fowler)
          >
          >I would like to be able to capture either or both of the text provided
          >by the :ver and :about commands, for one reason to include details
          >of my configuration if I ever needed to e-amil someone about a problem.

          See if the command
          :source $VIMRUNTIME/bugreport.vim
          gets you the information you want. It will create a file called
          bugreport.txt that contains the output of :version, the current setting of
          *all* your options, autocommands, maps, etc. May be overkill for what you
          want, but maybe you can edit it down afterwards.