Re: New web site layout online

  • Aschwin Marsman - aYniK Software Solutio
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
      On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > The new Vim web site is there!

      Looks good. The W3C validator gives some errors, which you might want
      to correct to be compliant:

      http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vim.org&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

      > It works with both of these URLs:
      >
      > http://vim.sf.net
      > http://www.vim.org

      From my own experience, Sourceforge is very slow lately. When I looked
      just now, it stopped after having received for 2 minutes nothing, using
      Opera & lynx. When I tried again a minute later, it did appear.

      I'm using a cable connection, and other busy sites do respond very
      quickly.

      The same happened when I tried to go to another page ;-(
      Is this a local problem?

      Best regards,

      Aschwin Marsman

      --
      aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
      Bedrijvenpark Twente 305 NL-7602 KL Almelo - the Netherlands
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
        Aschwin Marsman wrote:

        > On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > The new Vim web site is there!
        >
        > Looks good. The W3C validator gives some errors, which you might want
        > to correct to be compliant:
        >
        > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vim.org&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

        I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
        HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
        For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
        line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
        way to do this.

        > > It works with both of these URLs:
        > >
        > > http://vim.sf.net
        > > http://www.vim.org
        >
        > From my own experience, Sourceforge is very slow lately. When I looked
        > just now, it stopped after having received for 2 minutes nothing, using
        > Opera & lynx. When I tried again a minute later, it did appear.
        >
        > I'm using a cable connection, and other busy sites do respond very
        > quickly.

        Strange, it works very fast for me. Perhaps your packages are dropped?
        One thing that is slow sometimes is the sourceforge logo at the bottom.
        It's used for statistics.

        Perhaps Almelo is too far away from sf.net? :-)

        118. You are on a first-name basis with your ISP's staff.

      • Wichert Akkerman
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 7, 2002
          Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
          > HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
          > For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
          > line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
          > way to do this.

          stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
          already won't allow you to use those attributes.

          Wichert.

          /wichert@... This space intentionally left occupied \
          | wichert@... http://www.wiggy.net/ |
          | 1024D/2FA3BC2D 576E 100B 518D 2F16 36B0 2805 3CB8 9250 2FA3 BC2D |
        • Ricardo SIGNES
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2002
            On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:44:51AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
            > Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
            > > HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
            > > For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
            > > line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
            > > way to do this.
            >
            > stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
            > already won't allow you to use those attributes.

            It is currently a requirement that vim.org does not crash existing browsers.
            Since NN4x is coded such that simple, valid CSS causes it to go on a killing
            spree, we were forced to abandon original ambitious plans to use nice, strict
            XHTML and CSS.

            --
            rjbs
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
              Wichert Akkerman wrote:

              > Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
              > > HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
              > > For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
              > > line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
              > > way to do this.
              >
              > stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
              > already won't allow you to use those attributes.

              Can you show me how to use a stylesheet to get a background image in
              that table cell?

              144. You eagerly await the update of the "Cool Site of the Day."

            • Ricardo SIGNES
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
                On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:46:42AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > > stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
                > > already won't allow you to use those attributes.
                >
                > Can you show me how to use a stylesheet to get a background image in
                > that table cell?

                Example:

                <head>
                body { background-color: white; color: black; }
                td { font-size: 300%; padding: 1em; }
                td.foo {
                background-color: #cccccc; border-right: #ffffff medium dashed
                }
                td.bar {
                background-image:url(http://vim.sourceforge.net/images/checkerboard.gif)
                }
                </head>

                This is valid, and works, at least in Mozilla. It demonstrates CSS for
                background images /and/ a better 'stippled' line. Obviously, you can make it
                look slicker; I just made it large to be easy on my eyes; I haven't gotten my
                glasses on, yet.

                Note, this is how my original vim.org prototype worked. ;)

                --
                rjbs
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
                  Ricardo Signes wrote:

                  > > Can you show me how to use a stylesheet to get a background image in
                  > > that table cell?
                  >
                  > Example:

                  Thanks. This appears to work. I have kept the simple checkerboard
                  background though, with a subtle one pixel width.

                  Most of the remaining errors from the validator are for attributes in
                  the <body> item. I tried removing them, but this causes a white border
                  to appear around the whole page.

                  155. You forget to eat because you're too busy surfing the net.