New web site layout online

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
      The new Vim web site is there!

      It works with both of these URLs:

      http://vim.sf.net
      http://www.vim.org

      Ricardo Signes did most of the work to organise the information. I have
      fit it into the PHP pages that already existed at vim-online.

      If you see a technical problem (layout messed up, error message) contact
      me. If you have remarks on the contents or are missing something,
      please report it to Ricardo (samael-vim AT lists.manxome.org).
      Suggesting a place to put the information will help.
      For discussions about the looks the Vim maillist can be used.

      Background: This complete change of the Vim web site was triggered by
      Sven's Vim pages no longer working. And it's nice to have a central
      site with links to everything you always wanted to know about Vim.

      (unrelated): In case you were thinking of getting the Lord Of The Rings
      DVD or video (to be released August 6), using this link will give 15% of
      the sales to Vim's charity project in Uganda:

      http://iccf-holland.org/lotr.html

      106. When told to "go to your room" you inform your parents that you
      can't...because you were kicked out and banned.

    • Aschwin Marsman - aYniK Software Solutio
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
        On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > The new Vim web site is there!

        Looks good. The W3C validator gives some errors, which you might want
        to correct to be compliant:

        http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vim.org&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

        > It works with both of these URLs:
        >
        > http://vim.sf.net
        > http://www.vim.org

        From my own experience, Sourceforge is very slow lately. When I looked
        just now, it stopped after having received for 2 minutes nothing, using
        Opera & lynx. When I tried again a minute later, it did appear.

        I'm using a cable connection, and other busy sites do respond very
        quickly.

        The same happened when I tried to go to another page ;-(
        Is this a local problem?

        Best regards,

        Aschwin Marsman

        --
        aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
        Bedrijvenpark Twente 305 NL-7602 KL Almelo - the Netherlands
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 5, 2002
          Aschwin Marsman wrote:

          > On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >
          > > The new Vim web site is there!
          >
          > Looks good. The W3C validator gives some errors, which you might want
          > to correct to be compliant:
          >
          > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vim.org&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

          I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
          HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
          For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
          line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
          way to do this.

          > > It works with both of these URLs:
          > >
          > > http://vim.sf.net
          > > http://www.vim.org
          >
          > From my own experience, Sourceforge is very slow lately. When I looked
          > just now, it stopped after having received for 2 minutes nothing, using
          > Opera & lynx. When I tried again a minute later, it did appear.
          >
          > I'm using a cable connection, and other busy sites do respond very
          > quickly.

          Strange, it works very fast for me. Perhaps your packages are dropped?
          One thing that is slow sometimes is the sourceforge logo at the bottom.
          It's used for statistics.

          Perhaps Almelo is too far away from sf.net? :-)

          118. You are on a first-name basis with your ISP's staff.

        • Wichert Akkerman
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2002
            Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
            > HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
            > For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
            > line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
            > way to do this.

            stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
            already won't allow you to use those attributes.

            Wichert.

            /wichert@... This space intentionally left occupied \
            | wichert@... http://www.wiggy.net/ |
            | 1024D/2FA3BC2D 576E 100B 518D 2F16 36B0 2805 3CB8 9250 2FA3 BC2D |
          • Ricardo SIGNES
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2002
              On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 02:44:51AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
              > Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
              > > HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
              > > For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
              > > line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
              > > way to do this.
              >
              > stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
              > already won't allow you to use those attributes.

              It is currently a requirement that vim.org does not crash existing browsers.
              Since NN4x is coded such that simple, valid CSS causes it to go on a killing
              spree, we were forced to abandon original ambitious plans to use nice, strict
              XHTML and CSS.

              --
              rjbs
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
                Wichert Akkerman wrote:

                > Previously Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > > I only see errors that aren't really errors but items not supported by
                > > HTML 4.0. These things are needed for real-life browsers though.
                > > For example, the 'background' attribute is required to get the stippled
                > > line between the navigation bar and the main area. Don't know another
                > > way to do this.
                >
                > stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
                > already won't allow you to use those attributes.

                Can you show me how to use a stylesheet to get a background image in
                that table cell?

                144. You eagerly await the update of the "Cool Site of the Day."

              • Ricardo SIGNES
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
                  On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:46:42AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > > stylesheets. Eventually you'll be forced to use those anyway, XHTML
                  > > already won't allow you to use those attributes.
                  >
                  > Can you show me how to use a stylesheet to get a background image in
                  > that table cell?

                  Example:

                  <head>
                  body { background-color: white; color: black; }
                  td { font-size: 300%; padding: 1em; }
                  td.foo {
                  background-color: #cccccc; border-right: #ffffff medium dashed
                  }
                  td.bar {
                  background-image:url(http://vim.sourceforge.net/images/checkerboard.gif)
                  }
                  </head>

                  This is valid, and works, at least in Mozilla. It demonstrates CSS for
                  background images /and/ a better 'stippled' line. Obviously, you can make it
                  look slicker; I just made it large to be easy on my eyes; I haven't gotten my
                  glasses on, yet.

                  Note, this is how my original vim.org prototype worked. ;)

                  --
                  rjbs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 8, 2002
                    Ricardo Signes wrote:

                    > > Can you show me how to use a stylesheet to get a background image in
                    > > that table cell?
                    >
                    > Example:

                    Thanks. This appears to work. I have kept the simple checkerboard
                    background though, with a subtle one pixel width.

                    Most of the remaining errors from the validator are for attributes in
                    the <body> item. I tried removing them, but this causes a white border
                    to appear around the whole page.

                    155. You forget to eat because you're too busy surfing the net.