Re: patched vim on pc?

  • Gerhard Häring
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 26, 2002
      * Nazri Ramliy <ayie@...> [2002-06-27 08:21 +0800]:
      > On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 05:08:27PM -0700, Denis Perelyubskiy wrote:
      > > hello,
      > >
      > > how does one go about building a patched vim for pc?
      >
      > On both my linux and winnt I build vim using the code that cvs get for
      > me.

      Me too.

      What's the point of those inconsistent Windows source releases with a
      different directory structure, anyway? Looks like a very bad idea to me.

      Gerhard
      --
      mail: gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de registered Linux user #64239
      web: http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/ OpenPGP public key id AD24C930
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 26, 2002
        On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:29:45 -0700, you wrote:

        > >>hello,
        > >>
        > >>how does one go about building a patched vim for pc? patches
        > >>seem to apply only to unix versions.. should I get pc
        > >>source, get unix source, patch unix source, then replace the
        > >>files in pc distro with those in unix distro, and change
        > >>newlines to crlfs ?.. this sounds too complicated :)

        > >Just download the unix sources, patch them, and compile.
        > >You don't have to change anything, they will work just
        > >fine on Windows.

        >Do you mean using cygwin?

        No, I never compile for cygwin, I just download new packages when they
        arrive. I patch and compile my own gvim, using VC++ on the unix sources.

        --
        Be seeing you.
      • Vlad Sandrini
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2002
          Aye Engengah Thore B. Karlsen H'ee L'geb F'ai Throdog Re: patched vim
          on pc? Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:26:17 -0500:

          TBK> >how does one go about building a patched vim for pc? patches
          TBK> >seem to apply only to unix versions.. should I get pc
          TBK> >source, get unix source, patch unix source, then replace the
          TBK> >files in pc distro with those in unix distro, and change
          TBK> >newlines to crlfs ?.. this sounds too complicated :)
          TBK>
          TBK> Just download the unix sources, patch them, and compile. You
          TBK> don't have to change anything, they will work just fine on
          TBK> Windows.

          that'll be unix sources AND extra package. Cat.exe and Patch.exe do
          the job (got them at http://unxutils.sourceforge.net but there are
          tons of other builds around), although I remember patch.exe crashing
          badly on my Win ME that I never use. And patch.exe crashes on my NT4
          box at work too with stream redirection (e.g. patch -p0<5.1.101),
          while it works ok with pipes (e.g. cat 6.1.101|patch -p0).

          --
          Sator <sator72/at/libero/dot/it> <vlad72/at/inwind/dot/it>
          icq#906246 - http://sator.250x.com - http://www.iammol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 27, 2002
            >From: Vlad Sandrini <sator72@...>
            >
            >that'll be unix sources AND extra package. Cat.exe and Patch.exe do
            >the job (got them at http://unxutils.sourceforge.net but there are
            >tons of other builds around), although I remember patch.exe crashing
            >badly on my Win ME that I never use. And patch.exe crashes on my NT4
            >box at work too with stream redirection (e.g. patch -p0<5.1.101),
            >while it works ok with pipes (e.g. cat 6.1.101|patch -p0).

            The Win32 patch.exe from the above URL (and others I have tried, usually
            compiled with MingW32) doesn't appear to like the unix file format of the
            patches and blows up on Win95/2K/XP when I tried it. If you run the patches
            through a unix2dos-type utility first (I actually use a script to run them
            through vim to 'set ff=dos | w' ) then they should work normally. Of
            course, you already have a workaround with cat, so it isn't a big deal :)

            Dan Sharp

          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 27, 2002
              On Thursday, June 27, 2002, at 10:20 AM, Dan Sharp wrote:

              >> From: Vlad Sandrini <sator72@...>
              >>
              >> that'll be unix sources AND extra package. Cat.exe and Patch.exe do
              >> the job (got them at http://unxutils.sourceforge.net but there are
              >> tons of other builds around), although I remember patch.exe crashing
              >> badly on my Win ME that I never use. And patch.exe crashes on my NT4
              >> box at work too with stream redirection (e.g. patch -p0<5.1.101),
              >> while it works ok with pipes (e.g. cat 6.1.101|patch -p0).
              >
              > The Win32 patch.exe from the above URL (and others I have tried,
              > usually compiled with MingW32) doesn't appear to like the unix file
              > format of the patches and blows up on Win95/2K/XP when I tried it. If
              > you run the patches through a unix2dos-type utility first (I actually
              > use a script to run them through vim to 'set ff=dos | w' ) then they
              > should work normally. Of course, you already have a workaround with
              > cat, so it isn't a big deal :)
              >
              > Dan Sharp

              Have you tried Ron Aaron's version of patch? I do not remember
              having any trouble with it, although it is possible that I did something
              to get around the EOL issue.

              http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=128
              http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/builds.html

              HTH --Benji Fisher
            • Vlad Sandrini
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 27, 2002
                Aye Engengah Benji Fisher H'ee L'geb F'ai Throdog Re: patched vim on
                pc? Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:38:21 -0400:

                BF> > The Win32 patch.exe from the above URL (and others I have tried,
                BF> >
                BF> > usually compiled with MingW32) doesn't appear to like the unix
                BF> > file format of the patches and blows up on Win95/2K/XP when I
                BF> > tried it. If you run the patches through a unix2dos-type
                BF> > utility first (I actually use a script to run them through vim
                BF> > to 'set ff=dos | w' ) then they should work normally. Of
                BF> > course, you already have a workaround with cat, so it isn't a
                BF> > big deal :)
                BF>
                BF> Have you tried Ron Aaron's version of patch? I do not
                BF> remember
                BF> having any trouble with it, although it is possible that I did
                BF> something to get around the EOL issue.

                I compile vim at work very often (in fact, every time there's a patch)
                and I use:
                * WinNT 4.0
                * MinGW with gcc 2.95.3 (sometimes I use gcc 2.95.2 from Activestate,
                works fine too)
                * gettext (one of the ports, now I'm home and can't remember which
                one)
                * utilities from unxutils.sf.net

                It works fine every time. As I said, I get a problem with patch.exe
                when I use redirection, e.g.:
                patch -p0 < 6.1.112
                ..I get an assertion error, on both NT4 (work) and ME (home, but I
                never use it :) ).
                On NT4 it works fine with pipes, e.g.:
                cat 6.1.112 | patch -p0
                My patch line in my make batch looks like:
                for %%i in (..\patch\6.1.*) do cat %%i | patch -0
                This on WinNT 4 - on win ME patch.exe simply always exits with that
                assertion error, so when I'm home I patch my source under linux and
                copy it to a vfat volume when (if) I need it under ME.

                Certainly I have tried Ron Aaron's build as well as many other patch
                builds (aintx, wincvs, and more) - they're all patch version 2.5 and
                they all have the same problems on the systems I've tested them on -
                ok with pipes on NT 4, redirection triggers wrong assertion, winME
                triggers wrong assertion. The only one I still didn't check is
                patch.exe from cygwin, but I don't strictly need it right now.

                That is, if I hadn't gnu/linux I'd probably go for cvs (anyone tried
                cygwin's patch.exe?)

                --
                Sator <sator72/at/libero/dot/it> <vlad72/at/inwind/dot/it>
                icq#906246 - http://sator.250x.com - http://www.iammol.com
                Linux 2.4.19-rc1 - Sylpheed version 0.7.7
                My grandfather's work was doo-doo!
              • Joseph Edward Miele
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 28, 2002
                  I have tried Cygwin's patch.exe on Windows 2000 and XP. It works just fine with
                  redirection from within the bash shell. Since installing Cygwin, I don't use the
                  Windows command prompt any more.

                • Thore B. Karlsen
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 28, 2002
                    On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:13:30 +0200, you wrote:

                    [...]

                    >That is, if I hadn't gnu/linux I'd probably go for cvs (anyone tried
                    >cygwin's patch.exe?)

                    Yes, I use cygwin for my patching (and all my other shell needs). It
                    works perfectly, and it gives me a sensible shell with all the nice unix
                    commands. I suggest you try it out, it sounds a lot more convenient than
                    what you are doing right now.

                    --
                    Be seeing you.
                  • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 28, 2002
                      [by mistake I sent this to the OP, not to the list as it was my
                      intention]

                      > Certainly I have tried Ron Aaron's build as well as many other patch
                      > builds (aintx, wincvs, and more) - they're all patch version 2.5 and
                      > they all have the same problems on the systems I've tested them on -
                      > ok with pipes on NT 4, redirection triggers wrong assertion, winME
                      > triggers wrong assertion. The only one I still didn't check is
                      > patch.exe from cygwin, but I don't strictly need it right now.
                      >
                      > That is, if I hadn't gnu/linux I'd probably go for cvs (anyone tried
                      > cygwin's patch.exe?)

                      Well, I was about to post this during the weekend after some more
                      tuning. But you have prompted me to do it ASAP.

                      I have pestered Bram for several months now trying to compile CVS vim
                      with Borland C++ without success. I had tried with Cygwin's Mingw
                      runtime as well, with no success until last weekend, after updating my
                      Cygwin distro to Cygwin 1.3.11 and Mingw runtime 2.0.

                      I am attaching both the makefile and the NSIS script I used to create
                      the binary I am using, 6.1.112. No OLE and no perl/python/ruby, but it
                      does have gettext and iconv support. Unfortunately, it has no dynamic
                      IME support, because the needed header doesn't exist in the win32api
                      distribution. (My other weekend project :).

                      I still have some problems with the console utilities, namely
                      install.exe, uninstal.exe and vimrun.exe. I solved that particular
                      problem compiling them with Borland C++, but I have modified the linking
                      in the makefile and they should work now, but this needs testing.

                      What do you need?

                      1. Cygwin 1.3.11 with mingw runtime 2.0 and win32api 1.5 or later.

                      2. Mingw binaries of gettext, libiconv, UPX and the GNU diffutils
                      from http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/. Install the linking libraries
                      under /usr/lib/mingw and /usr/include/mingw. UPX goes somewhere outside
                      Cygwin's filesystem available to the DOS/Win subsystems and diff goes
                      somewhere the NSIS script can find it. Don't rename libiconv.dll! Both
                      gvim and diff will depend on it.

                      3. NSIS 1.98 or later from http://www.nullsoft.com/

                      4. Save copies of your original vimrun.exe, xxd.exe install.exe,

                      Testing and patience :) If people test it and we can fine tune the
                      building procedure, this could replace the present Make_cyg.mak file
                      included in the distribution; unlike Make_cyg.mak, the attached file
                      *does not* produce binaries with Cygwin dependencies.

                      Now, on using patch instead of CVS, this is possible under cygwin and ME
                      (what I use) if the directories where you work are mounted as binary
                      partitions (the default for Cygwin 1.3.11).

                      Expecting feedback...

                      --
                      Alejandro López-Valencia
                      http://dradul.tripod.com/
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 30, 2002
                        Compiling using BC5.5 is an off-the-shelf operation - follow the readme

                        alternately, in a shell that is set up to use the borland compiler
                        set BOR=%boland_compiler_base_dir%
                        set CPU=6
                        :: take your pick
                        set GUI=yes
                        set GUI=no
                        cd src
                        make -f Make_bc5.mak

                      • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 30, 2002
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 30, 2002
                            The Make_bc5.mak defaults to "yes" for MBYTE, ICONV and DYNAMIC_IME, so
                            I have them compiled in I believe (I don't currently have any
                            modifications to my checkout), not that I use multi-byte etc, but they
                            appear to be enabled.

                            I updated and compiled this morning (my timezone is +1000).

                            :version

                            VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Jul 1 2002 09:00:36)
                            MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version
                            Included patches: 1-118
                            Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                            +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                            +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
                            +comments
                            +cryptv -cscope +dialog_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
                            +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
                            +gettext/dyn -hangul_input +iconv/dyn +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
                            +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
                            +mksession
                            +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +multi_byte_ime/dyn +multi_lang -ole
                            -osfiletype +path_extra -perl -postscript +printer -python +quickfix
                            +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
                            -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl
                            -tgetent -termresponse +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands
                            +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
                            +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
                            +writebackup -xfontset -xim -xterm_save
                            system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
                            user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
                            2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
                            user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
                            2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
                            system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
                            user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"
                            2nd user gvimrc file: "$VIM\_gvimrc"
                            system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME\menu.vim"

                            P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

                            One last thing (Columbo style), what do you mean by "watch you fingers"

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                              > The Make_bc5.mak defaults to "yes" for MBYTE, ICONV and DYNAMIC_IME,
                              so
                              > I have them compiled in I believe (I don't currently have any
                              > modifications to my checkout), not that I use multi-byte etc, but they
                              > appear to be enabled.
                              >
                              > I updated and compiled this morning (my timezone is +1000).
                              >
                              > :version
                              >
                              > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Jul 1 2002 09:00:36)
                              > MS-Windows 32 bit GUI version
                              > Included patches: 1-118
                              > Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                              > +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                              > +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
                              > +comments
                              > +cryptv -cscope +dialog_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
                              > +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
                              +folding -footer
                              > +gettext/dyn -hangul_input +iconv/dyn +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
                              > +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
                              > +mksession

                              That's very interesting! What OS version? I am trying to do this under
                              WinME. Anyway, I am downloading a new CVS cache as I write this, in case
                              it is something related to file corruption.
                            • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                  I think your BC5.5 is fine.

                                  I *DON'T* use anything but the cvs from sourceforge.

                                  From a standard shell (WIN2000,
                                  PATH=C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem), I just tested
                                  this on a *FRESH* cvs checkout...

                                  cd /d d:\sourceforge\vim\src
                                  set PATH=d:\bc55\bin;%PATH%
                                  set BOR=d:\bc55
                                  set CPU=6
                                  set GUI=yes
                                  make -f make_bc5.mak

                                  I could also try it from win98se if you think that's the problem.
                                • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                    > I *DON'T* use anything but the cvs from sourceforge.
                                    >
                                    > From a standard shell (WIN2000,
                                    > PATH=C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem), I just tested
                                    > this on a *FRESH* cvs checkout...
                                    >
                                    > cd /d d:\sourceforge\vim\src
                                    > set PATH=d:\bc55\bin;%PATH%
                                    > set BOR=d:\bc55
                                    > set CPU=6
                                    > set GUI=yes
                                    > make -f make_bc5.mak
                                    >
                                    > I could also try it from win98se if you think that's the problem.

                                    Hmm... Then the OS is to blame. Time to start the move to a dual
                                    win2k/linux system...
                                  • Bruce Mellows
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
                                      I just compiled it successfully on a WinME (virtual) machine...

                                      VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Jul 2 2002 10:21:58)
[...]

                                      The problem has got to be something in your environment.

                                    • Vlad Sandrini
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 2, 2002
                                        Aye Engengah P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia H'ee L'geb F'ai Throdog Re:
                                        patched vim on pc? Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:38:45 -0500:

                                        PALV> > I could also try it from win98se if you think that's the
                                        PALV> > problem.
                                        PALV> >
                                        PALV>
                                        PALV> Hmm... Then the OS is to blame. Time to start the move to a dual
                                        PALV> win2k/linux system...

                                        Not all of us are allowed. Unxutils+Mingw works fine under NT4, just
                                        compiled 6.1.118 yesterday at work.

                                        I compiled 6.1.119 today but I used MSVC6 (unxutils's patch for
                                        patching, as usual).

                                        --
                                        Sator <sator72/at/libero/dot/it> <vlad72/at/inwind/dot/it>
                                        icq#906246 - http://sator.250x.com - http://www.iammol.com
                                        Linux 2.4.19-rc1 - Sylpheed version 0.7.7
                                        - Werewolf. - Werewolf? - There.