Patch collection for Vim 6.1

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2002
      I have uploaded a file that includes all patches for Vim 6.1 so far.
      You can find it here:

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.1.1-100.gz

      To apply it, this command should work:

      cd vim-6.1
      gunzip -c /tmp/6.1.1-100.gz | patch -p0

      Depending on your version of the "patch" program, you may need to use
      "-p" instead of "-p0".

      260. Co-workers have to E-mail you about the fire alarm to get
      you out of the building.

    • Walter Briscoe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 19, 2002
        In article <200206181952.g5IJqvV04193@...> of Tue, 18 Jun 2002
        21:52:57 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

        >I have uploaded a file that includes all patches for Vim 6.1 so far.
        >You can find it here:
        >
        > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.1.1-100.gz
        >
        >To apply it, this command should work:
        >
        > cd vim-6.1
        > gunzip -c /tmp/6.1.1-100.gz | patch -p0
        >
        >Depending on your version of the "patch" program, you may need to use
        >"-p" instead of "-p0".

        I was DELIGHTED to see the patch collection. I work behind a firewall
        which restricts my access to CVS and I have been too lazy to script
        polling of the patch directory.

        However, there is a small product incompatibility. The patch file root
        directory is vim-6.1. The corresponding directory is vim61 in
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.1.tar.bz2 and
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-6.1-extra.tar.gz

        And another trivial irritation which I have not mentioned until now.
        There is no ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-6.1-extra.tar.bz2
        This is a matter of scripting convenience rather than saving bandwidth.
        bz2 : gz :: 746,820 : 807,528.
        I am surprised the bz2 saving is so small in this case. It is about 25%
        for the source file archives.
        --
        Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 20, 2002
          Walter Briscoe wrote:

          > In article <200206181952.g5IJqvV04193@...> of Tue, 18 Jun 2002
          > 21:52:57 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes
          > >
          > >I have uploaded a file that includes all patches for Vim 6.1 so far.
          > >You can find it here:
          > >
          > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.1.1-100.gz
          > >
          > >To apply it, this command should work:
          > >
          > > cd vim-6.1
          > > gunzip -c /tmp/6.1.1-100.gz | patch -p0
          > >
          > >Depending on your version of the "patch" program, you may need to use
          > >"-p" instead of "-p0".
          > >

          > I was DELIGHTED to see the patch collection. I work behind a firewall
          > which restricts my access to CVS and I have been too lazy to script
          > polling of the patch directory.
          >
          > However, there is a small product incompatibility. The patch file root
          > directory is vim-6.1. The corresponding directory is vim61 in
          > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.1.tar.bz2 and
          > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-6.1-extra.tar.gz

          Sorry, use "cd vim61" instead of "cd vim-6.1".

          > And another trivial irritation which I have not mentioned until now.
          > There is no ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-6.1-extra.tar.bz2
          > This is a matter of scripting convenience rather than saving bandwidth.
          > bz2 : gz :: 746,820 : 807,528.
          > I am surprised the bz2 saving is so small in this case. It is about 25%
          > for the source file archives.

          It's mostly just a matter of reducing the number of choices you have to
          make when deciding what to download. I don't see how the extention
          matters in a script, you have to specify the full name anyway.

          268. You get up in the morning and go online before getting your coffee.

        • Walter Briscoe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 20, 2002
            In article <200206201047.g5KAlq901330@...> of Thu, 20 Jun 2002
            12:47:52 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

            >Walter Briscoe wrote:
            >
            >> In article <200206181952.g5IJqvV04193@...> of Tue, 18 Jun 2002
            >> 21:52:57 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes
            [snip]
            >> > cd vim-6.1
            >> > gunzip -c /tmp/6.1.1-100.gz | patch -p0
            >> >
            >> >Depending on your version of the "patch" program, you may need to use
            >> >"-p" instead of "-p0".
            >> >

            >> I was DELIGHTED to see the patch collection. I work behind a firewall
            >> which restricts my access to CVS and I have been too lazy to script
            >> polling of the patch directory.
            >>
            >> However, there is a small product incompatibility. The patch file root
            >> directory is vim-6.1. The corresponding directory is vim61 in
            >> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unix/vim-6.1.tar.bz2 and
            >> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-6.1-extra.tar.gz
            >
            >Sorry, use "cd vim61" instead of "cd vim-6.1".
            I saw the first patch referred to vim-6.1 and assumed that was needed.
            I did not have patch working on a W9X box here. I processed on a UNIX
            box and transferred back! I have since acquired a patch which works and
            shows my assumption was mistaken.

            >> And another trivial irritation which I have not mentioned until now.
            >> There is no ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/extra/vim-6.1-extra.tar.bz2
            >> This is a matter of scripting convenience rather than saving bandwidth.
            >> bz2 : gz :: 746,820 : 807,528.
            >> I am surprised the bz2 saving is so small in this case. It is about 25%
            >> for the source file archives.
            >
            >It's mostly just a matter of reducing the number of choices you have to
            >make when deciding what to download. I don't see how the extention
            >matters in a script, you have to specify the full name anyway.
            If I download two types of file; I need two tools to process them.
            --
            Walter Briscoe
          • Bill McCarthy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2002
              On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:52:57 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              >I have uploaded a file that includes all patches for Vim
              >6.1 so far. You can find it here:
              >
              > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.1.1-100.gz
              >
              >To apply it, this command should work:
              >
              > cd vim-6.1
              > gunzip -c /tmp/6.1.1-100.gz | patch -p0
              >
              >Depending on your version of the "patch" program, you may
              >need to use "-p" instead of "-p0".

              Bram,

              Since you have two separate directory structures, it would
              be handy to have patch files for each structure. As it
              stands now, those of us using the Windows structure are
              stuck needing to edit the patch files to remove patch code
              to files that don't exist in our structure and to remove the
              'runtime/' stuff.

              Of course, as I've pointed out in the past, it is simplest
              to have just one directory structure for everyone.

              Bill
            • Hiroshi Iwatani
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2002
                I'd rather prefer silently waiting for the Vim 6.2 to
                be announced to handling so many patches manually.

                My wish list includes:
                - fileencodings that does correct charset discerning.
                - smooth scroll for the wrapped visual/virtual lines.
                - Vim as a high level Java component and as an Eclipse plugin.

                Cheers for never ending Vim evolution!
                Hiroshi

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 28, 2002
                  Bill McCarthy wrote:

                  > On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:52:57 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  >

                  > >I have uploaded a file that includes all patches for Vim
                  > >6.1 so far. You can find it here:
                  > >
                  > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/6.1.1-100.gz
                  > >
                  > >To apply it, this command should work:
                  > >
                  > > cd vim-6.1
                  > > gunzip -c /tmp/6.1.1-100.gz | patch -p0
                  > >
                  > >Depending on your version of the "patch" program, you may
                  > >need to use "-p" instead of "-p0".
                  >
                  > Bram,
                  >
                  > Since you have two separate directory structures, it would
                  > be handy to have patch files for each structure. As it
                  > stands now, those of us using the Windows structure are
                  > stuck needing to edit the patch files to remove patch code
                  > to files that don't exist in our structure and to remove the
                  > 'runtime/' stuff.
                  >
                  > Of course, as I've pointed out in the past, it is simplest
                  > to have just one directory structure for everyone.

                  If you use the Unix sources on MS-Windows, all should be fine. You only
                  need to copy the runtime files to their final position manually.

                  I don't like creating another set of patches. Doing it automatically is
                  complicated. Doing it manually has the risk of doing something wrong.

                  In the future this will be solved with an A-A-P recipe, I don't want to
                  put effort in a temporary solution now.

                  --
                  ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?
                  WOMAN: We don't have a lord.

                • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2002
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2002
                      Answering to myself...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1 12:42 AM
                        I know you've solved this, but just for the record the
                        vimtbar.lib file is only used in the the 16-bit windows
                        version. (It's a helper library to back-implement the
                        win32 common control toolbar on Windows 3.x)

                        > Win32 gVim 6.1.112 has a problem with the toolbar. The open file option
                        > doesn't work and gives me a bunch of binary garbage in the status line;
                        >...perhaps I have a corrupt
                        > vimtbar.lib file?
                      • P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 1 4:24 AM
                          > I know you've solved this, but just for the record the
                          > vimtbar.lib file is only used in the the 16-bit windows
                          > version. (It's a helper library to back-implement the
                          > win32 common control toolbar on Windows 3.x)
                          >
                          > > Win32 gVim 6.1.112 has a problem with the toolbar. The open file
                          option
                          > > doesn't work and gives me a bunch of binary garbage in the status
                          line;
                          > >...perhaps I have a corrupt
                          > > vimtbar.lib file?

                          Thanks for the info, I never was one for studying the innards of win32
                          (I do know my way around the MacOS toolbox, but most of that knowledge
                          is obsolete these days :).

                          BTW, I have discovered a problem with my posted makefiles. For the
                          record, tt seems that gettext and iconv support won't work properly with
                          Cygwin's gcc plus mingw runtime, unless I
                          use -DMBYTE -DFEAT_GETTEXT -DDYNAMIC_GETETXT -DDYNAMIC_ICONV.