gcc 3.1 and vim-6.1 is OK on solaris 2.6 (without patches)

  • Christian MICHON
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2002
      Hi Vimmers,

      I had a look at the recently archived messages and noted a lot of complaints
      on gcc 3.1 (prerelease and official release). I actually followed closely
      the gcc 3.1 and its snapshots, and never had any pb.

      I have a few questions/comments to those who mentionned the problems:

      (1) this seems to be mostly a problem in finding the right include location.
      How did you guys install the compiler ? In my case, as a simple user, not root.
      All what I did was to merge the tree of binutils-2.12-1 with gcc-3.1-core
      and make bootstrap install. This was done successfully on Solaris 2.6 (not
      Linux). I did this also with linux successfully with a snapshot between
      gcc-3.0.4 and gcc-3.1 prerelease without merging the trees.
      => Absolutely no need to autoconf...

      (2) Did you do a make distclean before to configure vim-6.1 ? I remember there
      was some issues on this quite some time ago: I since assume this is one of
      the right way to compile vim. (1) make distclean (2) configure (3) make install

      (3) so far all compilation tests I run on solaris show gcc-3.1 to be
      an improvement over gcc-3.0.4. For vim, I cannot measure it yet: runtimes
      seem similar. Anyone has a case where gcc-3.1 is performing worse than 3.0.4 ?
      In this case, please send it to the gcc mailing list.

      Rgds,
      Christian.

      PS: for those who want to merge the trees as I did, here is the procedure...
      Move from the binutils tree the following files/directories into the gcc tree:
      bdf, binutils, etc, include/*, gas, gprof, intl, ld, opcodes, texinfo.
      Create a build directory and in it run:
      (absolute path to gcc tree source)/configure --prefix=/tmp/gcc3
      --enable-languages=c --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
      Next step: make bootstrap install (takes around 1 hour or less)
      Finally: update your path, configure and compile vim-6.1 ;)

      PS2: if someone can check on Linux, I'd appreciate as my system back home need
      some fixing first. :(