softening the last

  • Hiroshi Iwatani
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2002
      Issue 1: How could we delete the last eol char or chars from
      a document?

      Issue 2: When the cursor is at the head of the last line of
      a document, how could we directly go to the top of
      the next new line, i.e. to the next input position
      in my intention? The 'j' and 'gj' have no effect.

      I have read many parts of the Vim documentation including
      the 'virtualedit' section but I can't find helpful info.
    • Gavin Sinclair
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2002
        > Issue 1: How could we delete the last eol char or chars from
        > a document?

        Maybe by Hex editing? I can't think of any other way. It's almost part of
        the contract of creating text documents that they will end in a newline.
        (For good reason, too, they tend to be processed a line at a time.)

        > Issue 2: When the cursor is at the head of the last line of
        > a document, how could we directly go to the top of
        > the next new line, i.e. to the next input position
        > in my intention? The 'j' and 'gj' have no effect.

        There is no next new line until you create one. So 'o' is the command to
        use.

        > I have read many parts of the Vim documentation including
        > the 'virtualedit' section but I can't find helpful info.

        Neither issue is a matter of "virtual editing".

        --Gavin
      • Hiroshi Iwatani
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2002
          In the old days we had many text editor implementations
          on which we could end the document without the last '\n'.
          Even when it is a useless and purely theoretical issue,
          I feel the eol char shoud be treated as just another
          char. It should not have a hard-coded privilege.

          The 'o' command only reproduces a new last eol invoking
          the recursion of the issue.

          Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> [...]
        • Gavin Sinclair
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2002
            > In the old days we had many text editor implementations
            > on which we could end the document without the last '\n'.
            > Even when it is a useless and purely theoretical issue,
            > I feel the eol char shoud be treated as just another
            > char. It should not have a hard-coded privilege.

            Editors don't share your concern for useless theoretical issues!

            > The 'o' command only reproduces a new last eol invoking
            > the recursion of the issue.

            Your question didn't mention anything about not reproducing a new last EOL;
            it only asked to put the cursor at the beginning of the next line.

            Cheers,
            Gavin
          • Charles E. Campbell
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2002
              From: "Hiroshi Iwatani" <HGA03630@...>
              > In the old days we had many text editor implementations
              > on which we could end the document without the last '\n'.

              Try

              :set binary
              :set noeol

              which will edit your file in binary mode and won't require
              an end-of-line character at the end-of-file. No idea why
              you don't like end-of-lines, but vim can handle it.

              Regards,
              Charles Campbell

              --
              Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
              cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
              Message 6 of 6 , May 6, 2002
                Charles E. Campbell wrote:
                > From: "Hiroshi Iwatani" <HGA03630@...>
                >
                >>In the old days we had many text editor implementations
                >>on which we could end the document without the last '\n'.

                > Try
                >
                > :set binary
                > :set noeol
                Seems they do not bring the intended effect.

                > which will edit your file in binary mode and won't require
                > an end-of-line character at the end-of-file. No idea why
                > you don't like end-of-lines, but vim can handle it.
                In a large, complicated and illmanaged :)
                publishing project, it is sometimes a little
                bit more convenient if each file does not
                end with an eol, specifically, e.g., in a
                semi-automatic concatenation process. However,
                those real-world needs should be minor issues.
                Real issue is the orthogonality of the Vim
                operation system in which, I feel, simple
                editing operations could/should be applied
                indiscriminately to any of the chars in
                a document. Still a minor issue though.

                regards,
                Hiroshi Iwatani