[OT-ish] not-spam mail header?

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      A mail I just sent to the list got a reply from one Sean
      Watson:

      > I've been getting far too much spam (unsolicitied bulk email) recently.
      In
      > order to protect myself, I'm automatically deleting all my mail messages
      unless
      > they contain the text "not-spam" somewhere in the mail header. You sent
      the
      > attached message, but (because "not-spam" was not found) it was deleted
      before
      > I recieved it.

      I can't add custom headers from my email client at work :-/, and I don't
      fancy
      starting every post I send to the list with "not-spam" in the title!

      Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        Vince Negri wrote:

        > A mail I just sent to the list got a reply from one Sean
        > Watson:
        >
        > > I've been getting far too much spam (unsolicitied bulk email) recently. In
        > > order to protect myself, I'm automatically deleting all my mail messages unless
        > > they contain the text "not-spam" somewhere in the mail header. You sent the
        > > attached message, but (because "not-spam" was not found) it was deleted before
        > > I recieved it.
        >
        > I can't add custom headers from my email client at work :-/, and I don't
        > fancy
        > starting every post I send to the list with "not-spam" in the title!
        >
        > Any suggestions?

        I had the same problem. I've sent him a message to ask him to avoid the
        bounces. If he doesn't respond soon he will be removed from the maillist.

        --
        It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
        [real standing law in Alabama, United States of America]

      • Mike Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2002
          And it is of course of limited use - it wont be long before spam mailers start adding a
          bunch of X- headers strings people use to try and filter spam.

          I usually end up adding these people to a kill list, especially if it does not come via an
          email list.

          I have seen similar emails being used as email address harvesters for those that
          respond.

          On 3 May 2002 at 15:26, Vince Negri wrote:

          > A mail I just sent to the list got a reply from one Sean
          > Watson:
          >
          > > I've been getting far too much spam (unsolicitied bulk email) recently.
          > In
          > > order to protect myself, I'm automatically deleting all my mail messages
          > unless
          > > they contain the text "not-spam" somewhere in the mail header. You sent
          > the
          > > attached message, but (because "not-spam" was not found) it was deleted
          > before
          > > I recieved it.
          >
          > I can't add custom headers from my email client at work :-/, and I don't
          > fancy
          > starting every post I send to the list with "not-spam" in the title!
          >
          > Any suggestions?

          Mike
          --
          If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person... they will find an
          easier way to do it.