"new" bug?

  • Charles E. Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2002
      Hello!

      Under Unix:
      echo "junk" > tmp1

      vim -u NONE -U NONE
      :new tmp1

      Notice that the word "junk" shows up in the window devoted
      to tmp1. However, the documentation in <windows.txt> for
      new says:

      :[N]new [++opt] [+cmd] *:new*
      Create a new window and start editing an empty file in it.

      Clearly the window is not empty.

      FWIW: I'm using vim v6.1 patch-level 1-45 under an SGI.

      Regards,
      Charles Campbell

      --
      Charles E Campbell, Jr, PhD _ __ __
      cec@... /_/ \/_//_/
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        > Sigh -- you're right. I actually *wanted* vim to start
        > editing an empty file with a name; looks like I'll have
        > to delete stuff if anything is there.

        :new | file tmp1

        does what you want....
      • Charles E. Campbell
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2002
          Thus saith Mike Steed:
          > :[N]new [++opt] [+cmd] {file}
          > :[N]sp[lit] [++opt] [+cmd] {file} *:split_f*
          > Create a new window and start editing file {file} in it.

          Sigh -- you're right. I actually *wanted* vim to start
          editing an empty file with a name; looks like I'll have
          to delete stuff if anything is there.

          Thanks,
          Chip Campbell

          --