Re: sjis encoding

  • MURAOKA Taro
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2002
      What distribution of linux do you use? If you use standard Japanese
      distribution (have iconv library that support sjis encoding) and you
      could edit text files in euc-jp encoding, try below settings:

      :set encoding=japan
      :set fileencodings=iso-2022-jp,sjis,cp932

      Regards.
      ----
      MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>

      # I can answer most of Japanese specific questions.
      # Of cource in Japanese. ;-)

      > On our Linux paltform, sometimes we'd like to view and edit Japanese
      > texts documents prepared in the DOS/Windows environment.
      >
      > :set encoding=sjis
      > :set fileencoding=sjis
      >
      > These commands do not bring the expected effects, in fact, any
      > visible effects other than a nonsensical gVim screen.
      >
      > How could we change the encoding from the default locale?
    • Hiroshi Iwatani
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2002
        MURAOKA san

        Thanks for your info.

        I've found that another method, seemingly a simple conversion
        method, does work.

        :edit ++enc=sjis /mnt/windows/foo.txt
        :write ++enc=sjis /mnt/windows/foo.txt

        It is usable, though not much impressive.
        A script would be a little bit more convenient:

        #!/bin/sh
        qkc -eu $1
        gvim $1
        qkc -sm $1

        It might be that I'm only seeking some nice 'implemental sugar'
        for an easy/automatic encoding handling. Above method and your
        recommended one, both methods require too many typing on command
        lines!

        For example, could you add an [Encodings] menu or sub-menu
        for a next 6.x release?

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2002
          > Above method and your recommended one, both methods require too many
          > typing on command lines!

          Why don't you write those lines in your $HOME/.vimrc? Vim has enough
          capability in automatic encode handling by using 'fileencodings'
          option.
          ----
          MURAOKA Taro <koron@...>