Re: Scrolling WARNING

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002
      Bill McCarthy wrote:

      > The email with subject "Scrolling" contains a virus.
      >
      > My laptop is infected with it and Office Scan didn't help.
      > It appears to delete .exe files on my Win2000 system.
      >
      > The only fix I know of is to reinstall the operating system.
      > Any other ideas?

      If you are using MS-Windows, and especially when using Outlook, you
      should get a good virus scanner.

      I receive about 30 virus messages each day. My FreeBSD system isn't
      impressed :-).

      This is the first virus message coming from the Vim maillist. I wonder
      how it managed to get by the required subscription block. In case it
      helps, this was the header:

      > From: guckes <guckes@...>
      > To: vim-dev@...
      > Subject: Scrolling
      > Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:35:00 -0500

      I have removed the message from the archive at Yahoo to avoid any
      trouble.

      --
      [Autumn changed into Winter ... Winter changed into Spring ... Spring
      changed back into Autumn and Autumn gave Winter and Spring a miss and

    • Vince Negri
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        Am I just paranoid, or is it a strange coincidence that
        this virus got posted to the list just after an in-depth
        discussion about the rights and wrongs of HTML mails on
        the vim-dev list?

        After all the poster had to specifically spoof the
        headers in order to get the message to the list.
      • David Mankin
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2002
          On Wed, 1 May 2002, Vince Negri wrote:

          > Am I just paranoid, or is it a strange coincidence that
          > this virus got posted to the list just after an in-depth
          > discussion about the rights and wrongs of HTML mails on
          > the vim-dev list?
          >
          > After all the poster had to specifically spoof the
          > headers in order to get the message to the list.

          Nope, you're just paranoid. (But that doesn't mean they're not out to
          get you ;) If you read the description of the virus, it automatically
          spoofs the headers to make the From: line be someone you have received
          email from before. And, in fact, the HTML discussion came up as a reply
          to an earlier post of the same virus. So, probably the virus spread to
          the list via some vim-dev subscriber's address book, another vim-dev
          subscriber contracted it, and eventually it forwarded itself back to the
          list again, claiming to be a third subscriber.

          -David