Re: Scrolling WARNING

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
      Thanks for posting the name of this virus.

      Once you told us the name W32.Klez, I found a solution and
      applied it. The tool I used is at:

      http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.ht
      ml

      It seemed to work. There are several missing .exe files on
      my system and many more are not operational. I'm testing
      and replacing .exe files that fail and uninstalling and
      reinstalling applications. So far, none of the bad files
      have been system files.

      This is painful :-(

      Bill
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        Bill McCarthy wrote:

        > The email with subject "Scrolling" contains a virus.
        >
        > My laptop is infected with it and Office Scan didn't help.
        > It appears to delete .exe files on my Win2000 system.
        >
        > The only fix I know of is to reinstall the operating system.
        > Any other ideas?

        If you are using MS-Windows, and especially when using Outlook, you
        should get a good virus scanner.

        I receive about 30 virus messages each day. My FreeBSD system isn't
        impressed :-).

        This is the first virus message coming from the Vim maillist. I wonder
        how it managed to get by the required subscription block. In case it
        helps, this was the header:

        > From: guckes <guckes@...>
        > To: vim-dev@...
        > Subject: Scrolling
        > Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:35:00 -0500

        I have removed the message from the archive at Yahoo to avoid any
        trouble.

        --
        [Autumn changed into Winter ... Winter changed into Spring ... Spring
        changed back into Autumn and Autumn gave Winter and Spring a miss and

      • Vince Negri
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2002
          Am I just paranoid, or is it a strange coincidence that
          this virus got posted to the list just after an in-depth
          discussion about the rights and wrongs of HTML mails on
          the vim-dev list?

          After all the poster had to specifically spoof the
          headers in order to get the message to the list.
        • David Mankin
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2002
            On Wed, 1 May 2002, Vince Negri wrote:

            > Am I just paranoid, or is it a strange coincidence that
            > this virus got posted to the list just after an in-depth
            > discussion about the rights and wrongs of HTML mails on
            > the vim-dev list?
            >
            > After all the poster had to specifically spoof the
            > headers in order to get the message to the list.

            Nope, you're just paranoid. (But that doesn't mean they're not out to
            get you ;) If you read the description of the virus, it automatically
            spoofs the headers to make the From: line be someone you have received
            email from before. And, in fact, the HTML discussion came up as a reply
            to an earlier post of the same virus. So, probably the virus spread to
            the list via some vim-dev subscriber's address book, another vim-dev
            subscriber contracted it, and eventually it forwarded itself back to the
            list again, claiming to be a third subscriber.

            -David