Scrolling WARNING

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
      The email with subject "Scrolling" contains a virus.

      My laptop is infected with it and Office Scan didn't help.
      It appears to delete .exe files on my Win2000 system.

      The only fix I know of is to reinstall the operating system.
      Any other ideas?

      Thanks,
      Bill
    • Craig Barkhouse
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
        Here is a link to McAfee's virus information library:

        http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99455

        You will find a detailed description of the virus, as well as removal
        intructions. Good luck!

        > The email with subject "Scrolling" contains a virus.
        >
        > My laptop is infected with it and Office Scan didn't help.
        > It appears to delete .exe files on my Win2000 system.
        >
        > The only fix I know of is to reinstall the operating system.
        > Any other ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bill

      • Bill McCarthy
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2002
          Thanks for posting the name of this virus.

          Once you told us the name W32.Klez, I found a solution and
          applied it. The tool I used is at:

          http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.ht
          ml

          It seemed to work. There are several missing .exe files on
          my system and many more are not operational. I'm testing
          and replacing .exe files that fail and uninstalling and
          reinstalling applications. So far, none of the bad files
          have been system files.

          This is painful :-(

          Bill
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2002
            Bill McCarthy wrote:

            > The email with subject "Scrolling" contains a virus.
            >
            > My laptop is infected with it and Office Scan didn't help.
            > It appears to delete .exe files on my Win2000 system.
            >
            > The only fix I know of is to reinstall the operating system.
            > Any other ideas?

            If you are using MS-Windows, and especially when using Outlook, you
            should get a good virus scanner.

            I receive about 30 virus messages each day. My FreeBSD system isn't
            impressed :-).

            This is the first virus message coming from the Vim maillist. I wonder
            how it managed to get by the required subscription block. In case it
            helps, this was the header:

            > From: guckes <guckes@...>
            > To: vim-dev@...
            > Subject: Scrolling
            > Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:35:00 -0500

            I have removed the message from the archive at Yahoo to avoid any
            trouble.

            --
            [Autumn changed into Winter ... Winter changed into Spring ... Spring
            changed back into Autumn and Autumn gave Winter and Spring a miss and

          • Vince Negri
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2002
              Am I just paranoid, or is it a strange coincidence that
              this virus got posted to the list just after an in-depth
              discussion about the rights and wrongs of HTML mails on
              the vim-dev list?

              After all the poster had to specifically spoof the
              headers in order to get the message to the list.
            • David Mankin
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2002
                On Wed, 1 May 2002, Vince Negri wrote:

                > Am I just paranoid, or is it a strange coincidence that
                > this virus got posted to the list just after an in-depth
                > discussion about the rights and wrongs of HTML mails on
                > the vim-dev list?
                >
                > After all the poster had to specifically spoof the
                > headers in order to get the message to the list.

                Nope, you're just paranoid. (But that doesn't mean they're not out to
                get you ;) If you read the description of the virus, it automatically
                spoofs the headers to make the From: line be someone you have received
                email from before. And, in fact, the HTML discussion came up as a reply
                to an earlier post of the same virus. So, probably the virus spread to
                the list via some vim-dev subscriber's address book, another vim-dev
                subscriber contracted it, and eventually it forwarded itself back to the
                list again, claiming to be a third subscriber.

                -David