RE: VRML highlighting

  • Robert Webb
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2002
      Matthew Hawkins wrote:

      > On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Robert Webb wrote:
      > > Would it be possible to include the folding information, but
      > > leave all the folds open by default?
      >
      > :he fen

      Ah, OK. But I don't set 'fen' ('foldenable') in my vimrc, so shouldn't it
      be off by default? The help says the option is enabled by using fold
      commands, so I suppose the syntax script for .wrl files should put it back
      how it found it afterwards?

      Rob.

      --

      Robert Webb <RobertW@...>,
      Want to make polyhedra?
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2002
        Robert Webb sez:
        } Matthew Hawkins wrote:
        }
        } > On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Robert Webb wrote:
        } > > Would it be possible to include the folding information, but
        } > > leave all the folds open by default?
        } >
        } > :he fen
        }
        } Ah, OK. But I don't set 'fen' ('foldenable') in my vimrc, so shouldn't it
        } be off by default? The help says the option is enabled by using fold
        } commands, so I suppose the syntax script for .wrl files should put it back
        } how it found it afterwards?

        Yes, it probably should. It didn't really occur to me when I wrote it since
        I hardly ever mess with VRML anymore. I was mostly teaching myself how to
        deal with folding. It wouldn't take me long to figure out how to do it, but
        I'm busy just like everyone else. If you feel like giving me the scrap of
        code to deal with it, I'll put it in and add it to the official syntax
        file. Otherwise, I'll get around to it sometime eventually.

        } Rob.
        --Greg
      • Robert Webb
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2002
          Hi Gregory,

          > Robert Webb sez:
          > } Matthew Hawkins wrote:
          > }
          > } > On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Robert Webb wrote:
          > } > > Would it be possible to include the folding information, but
          > } > > leave all the folds open by default?
          > } >
          > } > :he fen
          > }
          > } Ah, OK. But I don't set 'fen' ('foldenable') in my vimrc, so
          > shouldn't it
          > } be off by default? The help says the option is enabled by using fold
          > } commands, so I suppose the syntax script for .wrl files should
          > put it back
          > } how it found it afterwards?
          >
          > Yes, it probably should. It didn't really occur to me when I
          > wrote it since
          > I hardly ever mess with VRML anymore. I was mostly teaching myself how to
          > deal with folding. It wouldn't take me long to figure out how to
          > do it, but
          > I'm busy just like everyone else. If you feel like giving me the scrap of
          > code to deal with it, I'll put it in and add it to the official syntax
          > file. Otherwise, I'll get around to it sometime eventually.

          I think you can put this at the start:

          ==============
          let oldFen = &fen
          ==============

          And then this at the end:

          ==============
          let &fen = oldFen
          ==============

          That should be all you need.

          Thanks,
          Rob.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2002
            I wrote:

            > I think you can put this at the start:
            >
            > ==============
            > let oldFen = &fen
            > ==============
            >
            > And then this at the end:
            >
            > ==============
            > let &fen = oldFen
            > ==============

            But I just tried it, and it doesn't help. In fact 'fen' is set even when
            starting vim without a file, and even with -u NONE! It seems the default
            for this option is on, rather than off as documented.

            Rob.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2002
              Robert Webb wrote:

              > Are syntax highlighting files meant to contain folding info? I would have
              > thought not, but when I edit a VRML file (*.wrl) it always starts off
              > folded. This is annoying, although I have figured out to type "zO" to open
              > all the folds. Just to edit a file I shouldn't need to know folding
              > commands though, right?
              >
              > Would it be possible to include the folding information, but leave all the
              > folds open by default?

              Most people have never used folding, and will be surprised when they see
              closed folds. And it's not obvious how to get rid of it.

              I think the folds should only be defined when the user wants this. A
              note in the documentation should show how this works.

              --
              f y cn rd ths thn y cn hv grt jb n cmptr prgrmmng

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2002
                Robert Webb wrote:

                > > I think you can put this at the start:
                > >
                > > ==============
                > > let oldFen = &fen
                > > ==============
                > >
                > > And then this at the end:
                > >
                > > ==============
                > > let &fen = oldFen
                >
                > But I just tried it, and it doesn't help. In fact 'fen' is set even when
                > starting vim without a file, and even with -u NONE! It seems the default
                > for this option is on, rather than off as documented.

                Right, the default for 'foldenable' is on. It's a leftover from when
                the option was called 'folddisable'.

                --
                ARTHUR: I command you as King of the Britons to stand aside!
                BLACK KNIGHT: I move for no man.