Re: vim.org reviewed and classified

    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 2 11:24 AM
      Ricardo Signes wrote:

      > > What is useful from here is a list of different Vim add-ons and who is
      > > working on what. Here called "projects". Problem is that most of
      > > this info is outdated.
      >
      > Can these be stored as scripts, even if they're more complex than just .vim
      > scripts? Could we add a 'script type'to make that a better idea?

      No, these can't be scripts. It's a list of "mister xxx is working on a
      port to ABC". So that others can contact him and double work is
      avoided. Also for big things that have their own web site, like Arabic
      support.

      > > > * dist.html
      > > > - a list of vim distribution mirrors
      > >=20
      > > The file ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/MIRRORS contains the info most people
      > > need. The detailed info in Sven's page quickly gets outdated (probably
      > > already is, who would check this?). Anyway, the home ftp server is
      > > quite fast (1 Gbit link to the european backbone). Only during a week
      > > when Red Hat has a new release it's a bit crowded.
      >
      > How does that file get updated? Would it make sense to [eventually] allow
      > people to automatically register mirrors with vimonline?

      Considering the low number of changes there is no automatic system required.

      > The file is a little ungainly. It might be easier to sort by location
      > (either after or instead of by update frequency.)
      >
      > I think that [eventually] a vimonline list of mirrors would be great.
      > Mirror admins could list their mirrors there, and users could rate
      > their experiences with that mirror. (Too often late, etc.) For now,
      > the MIRRORS file is clearly sufficient, and thankfully accurate.

      There is no need to make this more complex. Someone should maintain a
      list and generate a page for www.vim.org and the ftp site from that.
      Perhaps I can convince Sec to do that, since he maintains the list of
      aliases anyway.

      > > > * news.html
      > > > * announce/
      > > > - vim news
      > > >=20
      > > > This is covered already by vimonline's news feature.
      > >=20
      > > Although links to the announcements in the maillists could be useful.
      >
      > I'm not sure I know what you mean. Send out a link to the
      > announcement via the mailing lists, or putting a link to the archived
      > announcement message on the vimonline page? Both would be OK.

      A list of links to the announcement message is useful, it often contains
      info about the release, e.g., how stable it's supposed to be.

      > > wish.html
      >
      > Sourceforge includes a feature request tracker.

      Which I don't want to use, because you can post items as "Nobody".
      Unfortunatly, I also can't find a way to disable it...

      --
      Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the
      world's population.

    • Coen Engelbarts
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 4 1:43 AM
        > It's all explained on the web site: http://a-a-p.org
        >
        > If you still don't get it, I will have to update the web pages...

        One thing I could not find there: What does the acronym (?) "A-A-P" mean?
        It might be "Any Acronym Perceivable", "An A-A-P Project", or something
        similar, like TTP="The TTP Project" from the Dilbert comic, but I'd still
        like to know. ;-)
        Google only brings tons of other AAPs.

        Coen