Re: Proposal: Extension to abbreviations

  • Preben Guldberg
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2002
      Thus wrote Paul Moore (gustav@...) on [020326]:
      > On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:25:25 +0100, Preben Peppe Guldberg
      > <c928400@...> wrote:

      > >And, btw, so is <C-]>.

      > Actually, I *implemented* <C-]>.

      And taught me about it, actually (thanks). Sorry, I did not pay enough
      attention at the start of the thread.

      > PS I don't have any vi background, so I don't know what vi-compatibility
      > issues there are.

      Some vi's allow for abbreviations of the form "!c" but will silently
      ignore ones with longer strings after the "!". I think Solaris (and then
      probably SunOS too) and Irix works this way, while HP-UX and AIX versions
      silently ignores both cases.

      But tne again, other ways of specifying the behaviour could have been
      used.

      > I apologise if I didn't consider those issues in my
      > proposal.

      At this point, I'd mostly concider this a non-issue when it comes to
      new commands and behaviours.

      Peppe
      --
      "Before you criticize someone, walk
      Preben "Peppe" Guldberg __/-\__ a mile in his shoes. That way, if