Re: highlight-aware RE, syntax keyword completion

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2002
      Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:

      >You are probably better off using a dictionary to complete from.

      That works great, of course; but it would be very nice (and probably not too
      hard?) to be able to complete from a string,

      "choice1,choice2,choice3"

      Best regards,

      Ron
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2002
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
        > >
        > >You are probably better off using a dictionary to complete from.
        >
        > That works great, of course; but it would be very nice (and probably not too
        > hard?) to be able to complete from a string,
        >
        > "choice1,choice2,choice3"

        Sure. And I often would want to complete from registers and text saved
        for undo (deleted text).

        However, the code for completion is a bit of a mess. Before adding
        anything, it must first be cleaned up. That requires understanding how
        the existing code works, and that isn't easy.

        --
        I AM THANKFUL...
        ...for all the complaining I hear about the government

      • Kontra, Gergely
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
          >> Another item I've missed is a completion mode, where vim tries to
          >> complete the keywords defined in the file's syntax file.
          >> Eg. in C for, if, while, int ...
          >
          >You are probably better off using a dictionary to complete from.

          Well you're right, but this way no work needed by the user...

          Gergo

          +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
          | Email: kgergely@..., kgergely@... |

            > >You are probably better off using a dictionary to complete from.
            > >
            > well you're right, but this way no work needed by the user...

            Someone write a vim script that parses a syntax file and writes all the
            keywords to another file for use as a dictionary?
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2002
              Vince Negri wrote:

              > > >You are probably better off using a dictionary to complete from.
              > > >
              > > well you're right, but this way no work needed by the user...
              >
              > Someone write a vim script that parses a syntax file and writes all the
              > keywords to another file for use as a dictionary?

              The Pippo() function in foo.vim (my file of example vim functions, script
              72 at VimOnline) is a good start for this job. The question is how to sort
              from a vim script. If we can rely on an external sort program, it is easy.
              If we have to copy the Sort() program from the docs (or from the explorer
              plugin) then it gets to be rather large. Suggestions?

              --Benji Fisher
            • Doug Kearns
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2002
                On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 03:03:25PM -0800, Ron Aaron wrote:
                > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes:
                > >
                > >You are probably better off using a dictionary to complete from.
                >
                > That works great, of course; but it would be very nice (and probably not too
                > hard?) to be able to complete from a string,
                >
                > "choice1,choice2,choice3"

                Yes, _very_ nice indeed. I proposed this a while ago, but there wasn't
                much support :-(

                Regards,
                Doug