Win32 6.1a default cd change

  • Walter Briscoe
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 3:34 AM
      I apologise if this has been reported or is documented and I have not
      found it.

      In 6.0, starting vim with a command like:
      vim a:\b\c\d.e sets the current directory and device to a:b\c and opens
      d.e. vim a:/b\c\d.e leaves the directory and device unchanged.
      In 6.1a, both commands behave in the same way. Was this intended? Why?

      [The reason for the implicit cd is that vim may be opened from a
      shortcut or by other devious means and no useful directory is then
      available. Any such filename uses '\\' as a directory delimiter and
      never uses '/']

      --
      Walter Briscoe
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 1:47 PM
        Walter Briscoe wrote:

        > I apologise if this has been reported or is documented and I have not
        > found it.
        >
        > In 6.0, starting vim with a command like:
        > vim a:\b\c\d.e sets the current directory and device to a:b\c and opens
        > d.e. vim a:/b\c\d.e leaves the directory and device unchanged.
        > In 6.1a, both commands behave in the same way. Was this intended? Why?
        >
        > [The reason for the implicit cd is that vim may be opened from a
        > shortcut or by other devious means and no useful directory is then
        > available. Any such filename uses '\\' as a directory delimiter and
        > never uses '/']

        For me it still works like you describe for Vim 6.0. I don't see
        something relevant that changed. I can't guess why it works differently
        for you... Have you compiled Vim yourself perhaps? Which version are
        you talking about anyway, console or GUI?

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        %-) After staring at screen for 15 hours

      • Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 3:59 AM
          In article <200203012147.g21Llkr05729@...> of Fri, 1 Mar 2002
          22:47:46 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

          >Walter Briscoe wrote:
          >
          >> I apologise if this has been reported or is documented and I have not
          >> found it.
          >>
          >> In 6.0, starting vim with a command like:
          >> vim a:\b\c\d.e sets the current directory and device to a:b\c and opens
          >> d.e. vim a:/b\c\d.e leaves the directory and device unchanged.
          >> In 6.1a, both commands behave in the same way. Was this intended? Why?
          >>
          >> [The reason for the implicit cd is that vim may be opened from a
          >> shortcut or by other devious means and no useful directory is then
          >> available. Any such filename uses '\\' as a directory delimiter and
          >> never uses '/']
          >
          >For me it still works like you describe for Vim 6.0. I don't see
          >something relevant that changed. I can't guess why it works differently
          >for you... Have you compiled Vim yourself perhaps? Which version are
          >you talking about anyway, console or GUI?

          When I repeated the work this morning, I was unable to reproduce the
          problem. Please put it down to finger trouble!
          --
          Walter Briscoe