Re: unable to open a file called [asdf] if the current directory contains a file called 'a'.

  • Srinath Avadhanula
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2002
      In our last exciting episode, on Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Walter Briscoe said:
      > >i verified this behavior with another person who uses gvim/winXP. if
      > >there are others who are in the same situation, it would be great if
      > >you reported whether this problem exists or not for you. i admit this
      > >is not exactly a problem which would occur in real life, but it would
      > >be nice if it were solved nevertheless.
      > Aah! Now we come to it! A troll! A veritable troll and I fell for it. :)

      I hope this is a joke :) (i see the smiley and am releived). actually
      this is not exactly completely out of the real world. what happened was
      that in winmanager (a plugin on vim.sf.net), the explorer buffers are
      called '[Buf List]', '[File List]' etc. what happened was that someone
      did have a file called 'l' in the current directory due to which the
      whole plugin crashed mysteriously. (not so mysterious now of course).

      i do admit that since absolutely no one else amongst all the 1000 other
      users gave this error, this is a pretty negligible artifact. its just
      that vim is so nice and stable, that one tends sometimes to get a bit
      nit-picky and less than appropriately grateful :)

      if ever i am able to get down into the code, i will try to implement a
      patch where an option "regexpopen" (for instance) which might
      temporarily toggle regexp like behavior in ":e ", as you suggest. since
      i am absolutely unfamiliar with the code, this will take a whole lot of
      time and will most probably not get accepted anyway.

      thanks!

      srinath

      --
      Srinath Avadhanula