Re: suggestion: User syntax cluster

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
      Kontra Gergely wrote:

      > >Can't you use the "containedin" argument? ":help :syn-containedin"
      >
      > Ok, but please patch vim so with set lists in the current line it
      > doesn't hurt me, pls

      Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

      143. You dream in pallettes of 216 websafe colors.

    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 10:39 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Benji Fisher wrote:
        >
        >> I am sometimes frustrated that I cannot change syntax
        >> highlighting the
        >> way I want because the characters I want to affect are already
        >> contained in
        >> another syntax group. If the syntax maintainer "contains" syntax
        >> clusters
        >> then I can add my groups to these clusters, but (1) not all syntax
        >> maintainers
        >> do this and (2) AFAIK the default syntax groups do not contain any
        >> clusters.
        >> This just came up again on the vim users' list: 'listchars' are
        >> contained in
        >> the SpecialKey group, and I would like to highlight trailing spaces so
        >> that
        >> they are invisible in the current line.
        >>
        >> I propose adding a User cluster that is automatically contained
        >> in every
        >> syntax group. Maybe for vim 6.2? Any comments?
        >
        > Can't you use the "containedin" argument? ":help :syn-containedin"

        Thanks, I did not know about that feature. (This is new in vim
        6.0, right?) But either I am using it wrong, or it does not work
        correctly. I think this example will clarify another cryptic comment on
        this thread: I try

        :set list listchars=trail:-
        :syn match Space " " containedin=SpecialKey contained
        :hi link Space Error

        (This is for testing. My goal is to use a pattern that matches trailing
        spaces on the current line, and I want to link to Ignore instead of
        Error, so that trailing spaces are not visible as I add them to the
        current line.)

        I think the above commands should make spaces appear as "-"
        characters with Error highlighting. Either I am doing something wrong,
        or vim is, because it does not work.

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
          Benji Fisher wrote:

          > > Can't you use the "containedin" argument? ":help :syn-containedin"
          >
          > Thanks, I did not know about that feature. (This is new in vim
          > 6.0, right?) But either I am using it wrong, or it does not work
          > correctly. I think this example will clarify another cryptic comment on
          > this thread: I try
          >
          > :set list listchars=trail:-
          > :syn match Space " " containedin=SpecialKey contained
          > :hi link Space Error
          >
          > (This is for testing. My goal is to use a pattern that matches trailing
          > spaces on the current line, and I want to link to Ignore instead of
          > Error, so that trailing spaces are not visible as I add them to the
          > current line.)
          >
          > I think the above commands should make spaces appear as "-"
          > characters with Error highlighting. Either I am doing something wrong,
          > or vim is, because it does not work.

          SpecialKey isn't a syntax group, only a highlight group. There are no
          syntax items defined for SpecialKey (well, you could define them, but
          none of the existing syntax file have one). You need a syntax group in
          which your "Space" item is matched in. ":syntax" lists them all.

          152. You find yourself falling for someone you've never seen or hardly
          know, but, boy can he/she TYPE!!!!!!

        • KONTRA Gergely
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2002
            >> >Can't you use the "containedin" argument? ":help :syn-containedin"
            >>
            >> Ok, but please patch vim so with set lists in the current line it
            >> doesn't hurt me, pls
            >
            >Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.

            :) I don't understand it either.
            So: Please patch vim to turn off highlighting (at the cursor), if
            possible.

            Thx
            Gergo
            +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+