Re: [W32] Edit via Samba

  • Mike Williams
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2002
      On 31 Jan 2002 at 20:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > But backing out patch 116 will mean it's wrong for file systems where
      > ACLs are actually used, right?

      Correct, but that is the current situation with version 6.0 so there wont be a large
      number of 'hey, what changed with using Samba?' type questions if the patch goes in
      6.1.

      > It's not only a question of who runs into one of these two bugs, but
      > also how severe the problem is.

      No one was really jumping up and down for the original patch - NT has had ACLs for
      years. Yet someone has hit Samba problems within a couple of months of the patch.

      > I wonder what is the actual problem for Samba: That Vim marks a file as
      > read-only or that it can't write it at all?

      For me just that it marks it read-only - I can still write with :w! So I guess this comes
      down to a large annoyance feature using ACLs over Samba.

      > --
      > 125. You begin to wonder how often it REALLY is necessary to get up
      > and shower or bathe.
      >
      > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.moolenaar.net \\\
      > ((( Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim )))
      > \\\ Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org ///

      Mike
      --
      It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry.
    • Corinna Vinschen
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:53:01AM -0000, Mike Williams wrote:
        > For me just that it marks it read-only - I can still write with :w! So I guess this comes
        > down to a large annoyance feature using ACLs over Samba.

        Just as a side note. Cygwin deals with ACLs if the so called `ntsec'
        feature is switched on. Due to the wide configurability of Samba and
        it's sometimes inconsistent behaviour related to ACLs I had to add
        another option which allows to switch off using ACLs on network drives
        while still using them on local drives. Not a perfect solution but
        I didn't find a better way yet :-(

        Corinna

        --
        Corinna Vinschen