Re: vim 6.0: meaning of command line directory reference

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2002
      Walter Briscoe wrote:

      > I run vim 6.0 and have applied no patches.
      > I hit this problem with the windows console version of vim.
      > I would expect to hit it also in UNIX.
      >
      > To be consistent with standard diff, vim interprets a reference to a
      > directory as a reference to the last file mentioned previously.
      >
      > For example, the following line
      > 0) vim -do foo bar/
      > is equivalent to
      > 1) vim -do foo bar/foo
      >
      > This is documented at [vimdiff| which is referenced from |-d|

      Yes, when starting in diff mode does this works. It's a special case,
      because making a diff between a file and a directory doesn't make sense.

      > 2) vim -o foo bar/ results in a '"bar/" Illegal file name' diagnostic.

      The directory listing should be loaded as soon as you enter the window.
      That's a bit strange, might call this a bug in the explorer plugin.

      > 3) vim -o bar/ foo gives a diagnostic and a directory listing of bar.
      > 4) vim -u NONE -o bar/ foo gives a diagnostic.

      > Can I suggest that 2) above be equivalent to
      > 5) vim -o foo bar/foo

      And what if someone intentionally wants to edit the directory? I prefer
      to keep it simple and predictable: let Vim do what the user tells him to.

      --
      "Oh, no! NOT the Spanish Inquisition!"
      "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!"