mingw32 accctrl.h and patch (was Re: Patch 6.0.116 Failure)

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > Thanks for the helpful solution.
      >
      > Attached is a patch to os_win32.c, and the missing 'accctrl.h' file for
      > mingw32 systems.

      Thanks. I'll include an alternate patch below. This avoids including
      the file when not using ACL. And it adds a hint to find the include
      file (I don't want to include the accctrl.h file with Vim).

      *** ../../vim60.118/src/os_win32.c Tue Jan 1 21:13:14 2002
      --- os_win32.c Wed Jan 2 22:10:11 2002
      ***************
      *** 327,332 ****
      --- 327,338 ----

      #ifdef HAVE_ACL
      # include <aclapi.h>
      + # ifdef __MINGW32__
      + /* Unfortunately, accctrl.h is not in the mingw32 distribution, try
      + * getting it from a Cygwin distribution. Or look in the archive for the
      + * vimdev maillist (January 2002). */
      + # include "accctrl.h"
      + # endif
      /*
      * These are needed to dynamically load the ADVAPI DLL, which is not
      * implemented under Windows 95 (and causes VIM to crash)

      --
      Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

    • Corinna Vinschen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
        On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 11:18:24PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > Ron Aaron wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks for the helpful solution.
        > >
        > > Attached is a patch to os_win32.c, and the missing 'accctrl.h' file for
        > > mingw32 systems.
        >
        > Thanks. I'll include an alternate patch below. This avoids including
        > the file when not using ACL. And it adds a hint to find the include
        > file (I don't want to include the accctrl.h file with Vim).

        Sorry but I'm a bit irritated. Just having the file accctrl.h should
        be enough since aclapi.h actually includes accctrl.h already. Implicit
        including in the source should be unnecessary.

        Corinna

        --
        Corinna Vinschen
        Cygwin Developer
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
          Corinna Vinschen wrote:

          > > Thanks. I'll include an alternate patch below. This avoids including
          > > the file when not using ACL. And it adds a hint to find the include
          > > file (I don't want to include the accctrl.h file with Vim).
          >
          > Sorry but I'm a bit irritated. Just having the file accctrl.h should
          > be enough since aclapi.h actually includes accctrl.h already. Implicit
          > including in the source should be unnecessary.

          I don't understand this (and I don't have the files to look in them).
          As I heard it, mingw32 does not complain about a missing include file,
          but it does complain about TRUSTEE not being defined. How can it
          suddenly include accctrl.h just because it's present?

          --
          GUARD #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
          GUARD #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow,

        • Bill McCarthy
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
            On Wed, January 02, 2002 5:18 PM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Ron Aaron wrote:

            >>Thanks for the helpful solution.
            >>
            >>Attached is a patch to os_win32.c, and the missing 'accctrl.h' file for
            >>mingw32 systems.
            >
            >Thanks. I'll include an alternate patch below. This avoids including
            >the file when not using ACL. And it adds a hint to find the include
            >file (I don't want to include the accctrl.h file with Vim).

            Thanks for the patch. I used it and added the missing
            accctrl.h to my src directory. I still get the same error
            messages wrt TRUSTEE.

            However, Ron's patch works just fine!

            Bill
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
              Bill McCarthy wrote:

              > > Ron Aaron wrote:
              >
              > >>Thanks for the helpful solution.
              > >>
              > >>Attached is a patch to os_win32.c, and the missing 'accctrl.h' file for
              > >>mingw32 systems.
              > >
              > >Thanks. I'll include an alternate patch below. This avoids including
              > >the file when not using ACL. And it adds a hint to find the include
              > >file (I don't want to include the accctrl.h file with Vim).
              >
              > Thanks for the patch. I used it and added the missing
              > accctrl.h to my src directory. I still get the same error
              > messages wrt TRUSTEE.
              >
              > However, Ron's patch works just fine!

              Strange. Why did this happen? Must accctrl.h be included before
              aclapi.h perhaps?

              --
              Vim is like Emacs without all the typing. (John "Johann" Spetz)

            • Madoka Machitani
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2002
                Quoting from os_win32.h:

                #if !defined(__MINGW32__) \
                && !defined(__CYGWIN__) \
                && (!defined(__BORLANDC__) || __BORLANDC__ >= 0x550) \
                && (!defined(_MSC_VER) || _MSC_VER > 1010)
                /*
                * Access Control List (actually security info).
                * Mingw and Cygwin don't have the acl stuff.
                * Borland only in version 5.5 and later.
                */
                # define HAVE_ACL
                #endif

                As you see, HAVE_ACL is not defined when compiled under Mingw or Cygwin.
                Ron's patch works since it includes accctrl.h outside of the `#ifdef
                HAVE_ACL' statement.

                --
                Madoka Machitani <madokam@...>
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 5, 2002
                  Madoka Machitani wrote:

                  > Quoting from os_win32.h:
                  >
                  > #if !defined(__MINGW32__) \
                  > && !defined(__CYGWIN__) \
                  > && (!defined(__BORLANDC__) || __BORLANDC__ >= 0x550) \
                  > && (!defined(_MSC_VER) || _MSC_VER > 1010)
                  > /*
                  > * Access Control List (actually security info).
                  > * Mingw and Cygwin don't have the acl stuff.
                  > * Borland only in version 5.5 and later.
                  > */
                  > # define HAVE_ACL
                  > #endif
                  >
                  > As you see, HAVE_ACL is not defined when compiled under Mingw or Cygwin.
                  > Ron's patch works since it includes accctrl.h outside of the `#ifdef
                  > HAVE_ACL' statement.

                  Thanks for pointing this out. The actual problem wasn't missing a
                  header file, but using TRUSTEE when it shouldn't. Try this patch
                  instead (after patch 6.0.116 and without the previous "fixes"):

                  *** ../../vim60.118/src/os_win32.c Tue Jan 1 21:13:14 2002
                  --- os_win32.c Sat Jan 5 13:29:06 2002
                  ***************
                  *** 4058,4064 ****
                  --- 4058,4066 ----
                  BOOL aclDefault;
                  HANDLE hToken;
                  DWORD bytes;
                  + #ifdef HAVE_ACL
                  TRUSTEE t;
                  + #endif
                  ACCESS_MASK am;
                  ACCESS_MASK cm;
                  PACL pacl;

                  --
                  FATHER: You killed eight wedding guests in all!
                  LAUNCELOT: Er, Well ... the thing is ... I thought your son was a lady.

                • Bill McCarthy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2002
                    Bram Moolenaar worte:

                    > Madoka Machitani wrote:
                    >
                    > > Quoting from os_win32.h:
                    > >
                    > > #if !defined(__MINGW32__) \
                    > > && !defined(__CYGWIN__) \
                    > > && (!defined(__BORLANDC__) || __BORLANDC__ >= 0x550) \
                    > > && (!defined(_MSC_VER) || _MSC_VER > 1010)
                    > > /*
                    > > * Access Control List (actually security info).
                    > > * Mingw and Cygwin don't have the acl stuff.
                    > > * Borland only in version 5.5 and later.
                    > > */
                    > > # define HAVE_ACL
                    > > #endif
                    > >
                    > > As you see, HAVE_ACL is not defined when compiled under Mingw or
                    > > Cygwin. Ron's patch works since it includes accctrl.h outside of
                    > > the `#ifdef HAVE_ACL' statement.
                    >
                    > Thanks for pointing this out. The actual problem wasn't missing a
                    > header file, but using TRUSTEE when it shouldn't. Try this patch
                    > instead (after patch 6.0.116 and without the previous "fixes"):
                    >
                    > *** ../../vim60.118/src/os_win32.c Tue Jan 1 21:13:14 2002
                    > --- os_win32.c Sat Jan 5 13:29:06 2002
                    > ***************
                    > *** 4058,4064 ****
                    > --- 4058,4066 ----
                    > BOOL aclDefault;
                    > HANDLE hToken;
                    > DWORD bytes;
                    > + #ifdef HAVE_ACL
                    > TRUSTEE t;
                    > + #endif
                    > ACCESS_MASK am;
                    > ACCESS_MASK cm;
                    > PACL pacl;

                    Thanks for spotting this Madoka and thanks for the patch Bram.

                    The acccctrl.h file is no longer needed and the patch works fine.
                    Please make an "official" patch - particularly important to those of
                    us using CVS - I've written a special MakeFile for the interim.

                    BTW, patches 119 and 120 haven't make it to CVS yet.

                    Regards,
                    Bill