Avoiding dialog boxes in GUI Vim

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2 11:41 AM
      Hi all,

      When running GUI Vim with the 'confirm' option turned on, it can
      be annoying when a dialog box pops up to confirm some operations.
      In particular, if you are running Vim in a GUI environment like
      Motif, where the hot keys for the dialog buttons doesn't work, you
      have to use the mouse to click on the buttons in the dialog box.
      It will be desirable if we can get a console dialog (same as the
      one you get when running Vim in a terminal/console) instead of the
      GUI dialog to confirm the operations. The attached patch adds
      a new option 'guiconfirm' to do this. When 'guiconfirm' is turned
      on, while running GUI Vim, all 'confirm' dialogs will display
      a GUI dialog box. When 'guiconfirm' is turned off, while running
      GUI Vim, all 'confirm' dialogs will display a console dialog box.

      - Yegappan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2 2:18 PM
        Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

        > When running GUI Vim with the 'confirm' option turned on, it can
        > be annoying when a dialog box pops up to confirm some operations.
        > In particular, if you are running Vim in a GUI environment like
        > Motif, where the hot keys for the dialog buttons doesn't work, you
        > have to use the mouse to click on the buttons in the dialog box.
        > It will be desirable if we can get a console dialog (same as the
        > one you get when running Vim in a terminal/console) instead of the
        > GUI dialog to confirm the operations. The attached patch adds
        > a new option 'guiconfirm' to do this. When 'guiconfirm' is turned
        > on, while running GUI Vim, all 'confirm' dialogs will display
        > a GUI dialog box. When 'guiconfirm' is turned off, while running
        > GUI Vim, all 'confirm' dialogs will display a console dialog box.

        There was a todo item for this, which intended to add the 'c' flag to
        'guioptions'. Can you make it work like that?

        --
        Not too long ago, compress was something you did to garbage...

      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2 3:14 PM
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
          >
          > > When running GUI Vim with the 'confirm' option turned on, it can
          > > be annoying when a dialog box pops up to confirm some operations.
          > > In particular, if you are running Vim in a GUI environment like
          > > Motif, where the hot keys for the dialog buttons doesn't work, you
          > > have to use the mouse to click on the buttons in the dialog box.
          > > It will be desirable if we can get a console dialog (same as the
          > > one you get when running Vim in a terminal/console) instead of the
          > > GUI dialog to confirm the operations. The attached patch adds
          > > a new option 'guiconfirm' to do this. When 'guiconfirm' is turned
          > > on, while running GUI Vim, all 'confirm' dialogs will display
          > > a GUI dialog box. When 'guiconfirm' is turned off, while running
          > > GUI Vim, all 'confirm' dialogs will display a console dialog box.
          >
          > There was a todo item for this, which intended to add the 'c' flag to
          > 'guioptions'. Can you make it work like that?

          The attached patch implements the todo item. Use this patch instead
          of the previous patch for avoiding dialog boxes.

          - Yegappan