Returning the eval error WAS: Re: KDE component

  • Flemming Madsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Philippe Fremy wrote:
      >

      > > If you issue a remote-expr with bad syntax, you don't know why it fails :
      > > [philippe@werewindle ]$ gvim --remote-expr "lasdjflasjdf"
      > > [philippe@werewindle ]$ gvim --remote-expr "v:servername"
      > > GVIM1
      > >
      > > Getting the error of a bad expression in return would have helped me a lot
      > > while developing.
      >
      > I suppose an error message would be appropriate.

      Yes, but unfortunately the error message from the expression evaluator is not
      available; It is only given with emsg().

      Maybe we need some function like get_last_errmsg() ?

      --
      wkr /Flemming
    • Philippe FREMY
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
        > > > If you issue a remote-expr with bad syntax, you don't
        > know why it fails :
        > > > [philippe@werewindle ]$ gvim --remote-expr "lasdjflasjdf"
        > > > [philippe@werewindle ]$ gvim --remote-expr "v:servername"
        > > > GVIM1
        > > >
        > > > Getting the error of a bad expression in return would
        > > > have helped me a lot
        > > > while developing.
        > >
        > > I suppose an error message would be appropriate.
        >
        > Yes, but unfortunately the error message from the expression
        > evaluator is not
        > available; It is only given with emsg().
        >
        > Maybe we need some function like get_last_errmsg() ?

        At least a message from the vimserver would have helped.

        regards,

        Philippe
      • Flemming Madsen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
          Philippe FREMY wrote:

          > > know why it fails :

          > > > I suppose an error message would be appropriate.
          > >
          > > Yes, but unfortunately the error message from the expression
          > > evaluator is not
          > > available; It is only given with emsg().
          > >
          > > Maybe we need some function like get_last_errmsg() ?
          >
          > At least a message from the vimserver would have helped.

          The original code would cause the error to appear in the window
          of the server.

          I have shipped a patch off to Bram that will cause a generic message
          to appear in the client, now that the server is silent.

          --
          wkr /Flemming