Re: disabling viminfo

  • Denis Perelyubskiy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
      * Nadim Shaikli <shaikli@...> [11-Dec-01 16:37 -0800]:
      [...]
      >Something like,
      >
      > :set noviminfo
      > -or-
      > :set viminfo=NONE
      [...]

      i think :set viminfo="" will do the trick for you

      denis

      --
      // mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...>
      // icq : 12359698
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
        --- Denis Perelyubskiy <denisp@...> wrote:
        > * Nadim Shaikli <shaikli@...> [11-Dec-01 16:37 -0800]:
        >
        > >Something like,
        > >
        > > :set noviminfo
        > > -or-
        > > :set viminfo=NONE
        >
        > i think :set viminfo="" will do the trick for you

        Thanks Denis, that worked indeed - its not noted in the 'help' files
        I looked through.

        - Nadim

        or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Denis Perelyubskiy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
          * Nadim Shaikli <shaikli@...> [11-Dec-01 16:54 -0800]:
          [...]
          >> i think :set viminfo="" will do the trick for you
          >
          >Thanks Denis, that worked indeed - its not noted in the
          >'help' files I looked through.
          [...]

          i wonder if this is a case of a bad help file :) (there is a
          discussion on vim@... about that, hence the smiley)

          anyway, it sort of is noted:

          Marks are stored for each file separately. When a file
          is read and 'viminfo' is non-empty, the marks for that
          file are read from the viminfo file. NOTE:

          i do see how one could miss it, since after doing :help
          viminfo, you're taken to a screen, which goes on about what
          the heck viminfo is, and not the option settings screen. you
          first have to scroll some, and then jump to 'viminfo' tag.

          alternatively, you could do :help 'viminfo' (with tick
          marks)

          in any case, the point of this email is that there are many
          things that look very similar in the helpfiles, and to go
          through them, a neat trick i learned form someone on the
          list not that long ago, is to hit tab several times after
          you type the beginning of a word. that way if you did :help
          viminfo<TAB> it'd suggest 'viminfo', +viminfo, viminfo-file,
          etc.
          alternatively, you could do :help viminfo, then hist ctrl+d
          which would then show all the matches at the same time. take
          a look at :help cmdline-completion

          vim has plenty of documentation, but you dont always know
          what to look, so the above trick helps alot

          hth,

          denis