Re: gvim on Windows 2000 after uninstalling

  • Jonathon Merz
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
      Two things to maybe check:

      1. If you had a gvim.bat, make sure that the uninstaller deleted it properly.
      2. Check your system registry at
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
      and see if there is a key for gvim.exe. I've never figured out the logic of
      how it works, but programs can get added there and then accessed as if they
      were in your path.

      -Jon

      Johannes Zellner wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I just uninstalled gvim.exe and installed a self-compiled binary
      > somewhere else. Unfortunately, when typing 'gvim' on the cmd
      > prompt, it still tries to launch gvim.exe from the location which
      > is already removed:
      >
      > C:\>gvim
      > "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60\gvim.exe" not found
      >
      > (Win 2000). I checked the Environment (especially PATH) but it
      > doesn't point to D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60 any more.
      >
      > What should I do that my new self-installed gvim is found ?

    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
        Johannes Zellner wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just uninstalled gvim.exe and installed a self-compiled binary
        > somewhere else. Unfortunately, when typing 'gvim' on the cmd
        > prompt, it still tries to launch gvim.exe from the location which
        > is already removed:
        >
        > C:\>gvim
        > "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60\gvim.exe" not found
        >
        > (Win 2000). I checked the Environment (especially PATH) but it
        > doesn't point to D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60 any more.
        >
        > What should I do that my new self-installed gvim is found ?

        Have you rebooted since the un-installation? (I do not know whether that
        matters, but it might.) Did you use the uninstaller, or just remove the old
        version? Perhaps you are running the gvim.bat that was installed with the old
        version.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Johannes Zellner
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
          On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:56:14PM -0600, Jonathon Merz wrote:
          > 1. If you had a gvim.bat, make sure that the uninstaller deleted it
          > properly.

          Thanks. There was indeed a gvim.bat left.

          --
          Johannes