gvim on Windows 2000 after uninstalling

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hi,

      I just uninstalled gvim.exe and installed a self-compiled binary
      somewhere else. Unfortunately, when typing 'gvim' on the cmd
      prompt, it still tries to launch gvim.exe from the location which
      is already removed:

      C:\>gvim
      "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60\gvim.exe" not found

      (Win 2000). I checked the Environment (especially PATH) but it
      doesn't point to D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60 any more.

      What should I do that my new self-installed gvim is found ?

      --
      Johannes
    • Jonathon Merz
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
        Two things to maybe check:

        1. If you had a gvim.bat, make sure that the uninstaller deleted it properly.
        2. Check your system registry at
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
        and see if there is a key for gvim.exe. I've never figured out the logic of
        how it works, but programs can get added there and then accessed as if they
        were in your path.

        -Jon

        Johannes Zellner wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just uninstalled gvim.exe and installed a self-compiled binary
        > somewhere else. Unfortunately, when typing 'gvim' on the cmd
        > prompt, it still tries to launch gvim.exe from the location which
        > is already removed:
        >
        > C:\>gvim
        > "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60\gvim.exe" not found
        >
        > (Win 2000). I checked the Environment (especially PATH) but it
        > doesn't point to D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60 any more.
        >
        > What should I do that my new self-installed gvim is found ?

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
          Johannes Zellner wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I just uninstalled gvim.exe and installed a self-compiled binary
          > somewhere else. Unfortunately, when typing 'gvim' on the cmd
          > prompt, it still tries to launch gvim.exe from the location which
          > is already removed:
          >
          > C:\>gvim
          > "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60\gvim.exe" not found
          >
          > (Win 2000). I checked the Environment (especially PATH) but it
          > doesn't point to D:\Program Files\Vim\vim60 any more.
          >
          > What should I do that my new self-installed gvim is found ?

          Have you rebooted since the un-installation? (I do not know whether that
          matters, but it might.) Did you use the uninstaller, or just remove the old
          version? Perhaps you are running the gvim.bat that was installed with the old
          version.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Johannes Zellner
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2001
            On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:56:14PM -0600, Jonathon Merz wrote:
            > 1. If you had a gvim.bat, make sure that the uninstaller deleted it
            > properly.

            Thanks. There was indeed a gvim.bat left.

            --
            Johannes