compiling with +perl

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2001
      I tried again to compile vim for Mac OS X (a terminal
      version--should be like most other forms of unix) with +perl. This
      time, I edited the Makefile and did

      % make configure

      instead of ./configure . This seems to work better. Can someone
      explain the difference between the two procedures, and why ./configure
      is recommended? (Maybe there is no difference, but it looks to me as
      though ./configure ignores some of the changes that you can make in the
      Makefile.)

      After reading the comments in the Makefile, I decided to solve the
      remaining problems by editing auto/config.mk . In the line

      PERL_CFLAGS = -g -pipe -pipe -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp
      -flat_namespace -DHAS_TELLDIR_PROTOTYPE -fno-strict-aliasing
      -I/System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE
      I removed (after some experimentation!) the "-flat_namespace" flag. It
      finally compiled, and a small amount of testing was successful. (Before
      I removed this, make would echo one command and then hang.)

      Questions: 1. The "-pipe -pipe" looks odd; does it matter?
      2. What is -flat_namespace supposed to do, and is it safe to remove it?
      3. Is there a better solution?

      TIA --Benji Fisher