Re: Compiling into working dir for package building

  • David Harrison Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4 9:22 AM
      TRUCKS, JESSE (AIT) wrote:

      >Okay, according to the Makefile, I change DESTDIR to the working directory I
      >want to install to, and it will install there instead. What this does is
      >install it in /${DESTDIR}/usr/local. I don't want that. I tried doing it
      >this way with "prefix=" so it would eliminate the /usr/local. It worked
      >great except that the stupid Makefile recompiles part of it to point to the
      >new install directory of /usr/local/working/vim. Now, I build a package out
      >of the files there, and it is expecting support files in /{share,bin...}.
      >
      >My main question is this: How in the heck do I just tell it to compile
      >normally, then install WITHOUT changing any of the files I just compiled? I
      >need those files assuming they will be installed in /usr/local (since they
      >have a stupidly hardcoded search path for something), but be able to use the
      >install routine in Make to send them anywhere I want so I can use my package
      >utils to make a package that WILL install in /usr/local.

      I know what you're going through, as I too have to "install" the files
      in one place and then have the system packager place them somewhere else
      (on IRIX). Here's what I did:

      1) Do just a normal "make config" in the src directory.
      2) Do a "make" (again, in the src directory)
      3) Do a "make prefix=/where/ever/you/want install" (... from the src
      directory) to install the files somewhere. Yes, that will be the root
      of the installation tree. There will be "bin", "man", and "share"
      directories underneath that.

      The key point here is #3. Add the "prefix=" to the "make install" command.

      Be careful with this. When you first compiled Vim, there are defaults
      for the $VIM environment variable that are compiled-in based on various
      Makefile parameters (I think it is based on the original value of
      "prefix" when you do a "configure"). These defaults will tell Vim where
      to find its runtime files when it is finally installed.

      Basically, the final values of Vim's runtime behaviour are defined when
      you do a "configure", so that is when you will put down the location of
      the runtime files. You shouldn't have to do anything but the default
      "make config" though.

      Does this help?

      --David H. Jr.
    • TRUCKS, JESSE (AIT)
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4 9:42 AM
        Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. It was moving into the
        actual src subdir before doing the make prefix=/PATH install that I was
        missing.

        It is built and working great now!