Compiling into working dir for package building

  • TRUCKS, JESSE (AIT)
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
      Okay, according to the Makefile, I change DESTDIR to the working directory I
      want to install to, and it will install there instead. What this does is
      install it in /${DESTDIR}/usr/local. I don't want that. I tried doing it
      this way with "prefix=" so it would eliminate the /usr/local. It worked
      great except that the stupid Makefile recompiles part of it to point to the
      new install directory of /usr/local/working/vim. Now, I build a package out
      of the files there, and it is expecting support files in /{share,bin...}.

      My main question is this: How in the heck do I just tell it to compile
      normally, then install WITHOUT changing any of the files I just compiled? I
      need those files assuming they will be installed in /usr/local (since they
      have a stupidly hardcoded search path for something), but be able to use the
      install routine in Make to send them anywhere I want so I can use my package
      utils to make a package that WILL install in /usr/local.

      --
      Jesse Trucks vox: 414.359.7634
      jesse.trucks@... pgr: 414.515.6914
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
        TRUCKS, JESSE (AIT) wrote:

        >Okay, according to the Makefile, I change DESTDIR to the working directory I
        >want to install to, and it will install there instead. What this does is
        >install it in /${DESTDIR}/usr/local. I don't want that. I tried doing it
        >this way with "prefix=" so it would eliminate the /usr/local. It worked
        >great except that the stupid Makefile recompiles part of it to point to the
        >new install directory of /usr/local/working/vim. Now, I build a package out
        >of the files there, and it is expecting support files in /{share,bin...}.
        >
        >My main question is this: How in the heck do I just tell it to compile
        >normally, then install WITHOUT changing any of the files I just compiled? I
        >need those files assuming they will be installed in /usr/local (since they
        >have a stupidly hardcoded search path for something), but be able to use the
        >install routine in Make to send them anywhere I want so I can use my package
        >utils to make a package that WILL install in /usr/local.

        I know what you're going through, as I too have to "install" the files
        in one place and then have the system packager place them somewhere else
        (on IRIX). Here's what I did:

        1) Do just a normal "make config" in the src directory.
        2) Do a "make" (again, in the src directory)
        3) Do a "make prefix=/where/ever/you/want install" (... from the src
        directory) to install the files somewhere. Yes, that will be the root
        of the installation tree. There will be "bin", "man", and "share"
        directories underneath that.

        The key point here is #3. Add the "prefix=" to the "make install" command.

        Be careful with this. When you first compiled Vim, there are defaults
        for the $VIM environment variable that are compiled-in based on various
        Makefile parameters (I think it is based on the original value of
        "prefix" when you do a "configure"). These defaults will tell Vim where
        to find its runtime files when it is finally installed.

        Basically, the final values of Vim's runtime behaviour are defined when
        you do a "configure", so that is when you will put down the location of
        the runtime files. You shouldn't have to do anything but the default
        "make config" though.

        Does this help?

        --David H. Jr.
      • TRUCKS, JESSE (AIT)
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
          Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. It was moving into the
          actual src subdir before doing the make prefix=/PATH install that I was
          missing.

          It is built and working great now!