Re: evolution+vim

  • Benoit Cerrina
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001

      > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)
      >
      > jonathan

      why? gnome apps work perfectly well with KDE...
      Benoit
    • Tim Hammerquist
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
        Jonathan Gardner wrote:
        [ snip ]
        > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)

        You still use KDE?! ;)

        I ditched KDE for Enlightenment months ago. E has better gnome
        support than KDE, and Eterm's prettier too!

        --
        It has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
        equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people.
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 23:22, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
          > > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)
          >
          > You still use KDE?! ;)
          >
          > I ditched KDE for Enlightenment months ago. E has better gnome
          > support than KDE, and Eterm's prettier too!

          well,

          i don't want to start a KDE vs. GNOME flamewar on a vim developers list
          but i think that both environments either KDE and GNOME has their pros
          and cons.

          pro kde:
          """"""""
          - cool core with plugins system
          - a lot of applications available for it
          - core app like konqueror simply works and is fast
          - from all environments it looks most complete

          con kde:
          """"""""
          - long compile time
          - ugly interface icons and themes should really be improved
          - you are forced to install packs that you don't want if you compile
          from scratch. i want just the antenna but need to get the whole
          ferrari
          - configurability, e.g. placing of windows and have them stay there
          - information when moving windows around
          - kmail (the only mailer i know for kde) ain't that good

          pro gnome:
          """"""""""
          - looks cool
          - fast compile
          - may become really cool

          con gnome:
          """"""""""
          - nautilus is unusable and slow compared to konqueror and compared to my
          system
          - interprocess communication currently sucks, there's no REAL plugins
          kinda system as under kde (well there is bonobo but when will all apps
          use it)
          - inconsistent look of many apps (everthing behave different)
          - no real browser integration. well yes you have galeon, which is really
          cool but as long as you need to install MOZILLA too, to get it going
          it doesn't feel that complete and unite
          - mozilla wont be ready for GTK2 so gnome2 will be released but without
          any browser. galeon can't be ported to gnome2 as long as mozilla
          components aren't moved to gtk2. from what i heard work are done
          already but it's not sure if its ready just in time.
          - sick new preferences save system a' la windows registry
          - new versions of something are beeing spit out too fast without any
          serious (news or fixes)

          hey don't flame me now these are my own impressions and opinions.

          --
          Name....: Ali Akcaagac
          E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@...-wilhelmshaven.de
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
            On Tuesday 04 December 2001 07:37 am, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
            > On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 23:22, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
            > > > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)
            > >
            > > You still use KDE?! ;)
            > >
            > > I ditched KDE for Enlightenment months ago. E has better gnome
            > > support than KDE, and Eterm's prettier too!

            PLEASE: It was a JOKE! I would be crazy to force myself to relearn everything
            about my Window manager just because someone embedded Vim in an app. I know
            that eventually (1month? 6months? 3 years? Who knows?) KDE will do the same.
            Eventually, I hope ALL window managers will present useful text boxes
            everywhere that can be configurable with Vim, Emacs, Joe, Pine, or whatever
            else is your poison.

            IT WAS A JOKE.

            HAHAHA. Laugh. It is a joke! =) <- Look, a smiley face! It is a joke! hahaha

            Jonathan