Re: evolution+vim

  • Jonathan Gardner
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
      On Monday 03 December 2001 08:39 pm, Neil Bird wrote:
      > Around about 11/30/01 21:05, Ali Akcaagac scribbled ...
      >
      > > http://www.opensky.ca/gnome-vim/
      > >
      > > just arrived on evolution devel list... vim embedded in evolution
      > > have fun :)
      >
      > Now - that's kind of the next step I had in mind when I wrote
      > the GtkVim widget (thougts of a 'GnomeVim' or 'BonoboVim' widget).
      >
      > I guess I ought to put that up in vim-online ...

      Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)

      jonathan
    • Benoit Cerrina
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001

        > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)
        >
        > jonathan

        why? gnome apps work perfectly well with KDE...
        Benoit
      • Tim Hammerquist
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          Jonathan Gardner wrote:
          [ snip ]
          > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)

          You still use KDE?! ;)

          I ditched KDE for Enlightenment months ago. E has better gnome
          support than KDE, and Eterm's prettier too!

          --
          It has been truly said that hackers have even more words for
          equipment failures than Yiddish has for obnoxious people.
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
            On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 23:22, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
            > > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)
            >
            > You still use KDE?! ;)
            >
            > I ditched KDE for Enlightenment months ago. E has better gnome
            > support than KDE, and Eterm's prettier too!

            well,

            i don't want to start a KDE vs. GNOME flamewar on a vim developers list
            but i think that both environments either KDE and GNOME has their pros
            and cons.

            pro kde:
            """"""""
            - cool core with plugins system
            - a lot of applications available for it
            - core app like konqueror simply works and is fast
            - from all environments it looks most complete

            con kde:
            """"""""
            - long compile time
            - ugly interface icons and themes should really be improved
            - you are forced to install packs that you don't want if you compile
            from scratch. i want just the antenna but need to get the whole
            ferrari
            - configurability, e.g. placing of windows and have them stay there
            - information when moving windows around
            - kmail (the only mailer i know for kde) ain't that good

            pro gnome:
            """"""""""
            - looks cool
            - fast compile
            - may become really cool

            con gnome:
            """"""""""
            - nautilus is unusable and slow compared to konqueror and compared to my
            system
            - interprocess communication currently sucks, there's no REAL plugins
            kinda system as under kde (well there is bonobo but when will all apps
            use it)
            - inconsistent look of many apps (everthing behave different)
            - no real browser integration. well yes you have galeon, which is really
            cool but as long as you need to install MOZILLA too, to get it going
            it doesn't feel that complete and unite
            - mozilla wont be ready for GTK2 so gnome2 will be released but without
            any browser. galeon can't be ported to gnome2 as long as mozilla
            components aren't moved to gtk2. from what i heard work are done
            already but it's not sure if its ready just in time.
            - sick new preferences save system a' la windows registry
            - new versions of something are beeing spit out too fast without any
            serious (news or fixes)

            hey don't flame me now these are my own impressions and opinions.

            --
            Name....: Ali Akcaagac
            E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@...-wilhelmshaven.de
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
              On Tuesday 04 December 2001 07:37 am, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
              > On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 23:22, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
              > > > Time to abandond KDE and go for Gnome... =)
              > >
              > > You still use KDE?! ;)
              > >
              > > I ditched KDE for Enlightenment months ago. E has better gnome
              > > support than KDE, and Eterm's prettier too!

              PLEASE: It was a JOKE! I would be crazy to force myself to relearn everything
              about my Window manager just because someone embedded Vim in an app. I know
              that eventually (1month? 6months? 3 years? Who knows?) KDE will do the same.
              Eventually, I hope ALL window managers will present useful text boxes
              everywhere that can be configurable with Vim, Emacs, Joe, Pine, or whatever
              else is your poison.

              IT WAS A JOKE.

              HAHAHA. Laugh. It is a joke! =) <- Look, a smiley face! It is a joke! hahaha

              Jonathan